UK Water Report Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattdc26

Reaction score
Brew Science Water Gurus,

I have attached my water profile for the area that i live in in the UK, it is obviously missing items that the usual US reports have. I have been studying water for the last few hours and still I'm having trouble. can anyone help me break down this report in a low education level. I'm a hands on chart graph kind of guy. so anything short and simple would be great!

View attachment Anglian Water - Drinking Water Quality Report January 2015 to March 2014.pdf

That's pretty good water for malty beers.

Your sulfate could use a bump for your efforts with hoppy beers (per your other thread).

The problem is, you calcium is already ~100, so adding gypsum (CaSO4) to boost your sulfate is going to also bump up your calcium....but, that won't be too bad if it stays within reason.

I just skimmed this for the things I look for pretty quick (Ca, Cl, and sufate).

I'm sure other more knowledgeable folks will be along soon to help with the rest :)

Thanks AZ_IPA i might try and add some gypsum, it just comes down to reasonable amounts, and doing a lot more homework. I don't science well......

sorry to bring this back up guys but I still need a little help, its showing on the report "Total Hardness as calcium carbonate Mg/L 260. is 260 times 1.22 my bicarbonate?!?! because that value is now 317ppm which is pretty darn high. I would greatly appreciate anyone to look over my report and let me know what they think. Thanks again.

"Total Hardness as calcium carbonate Mg/L 260. is 260 times 1.22 my bicarbonate?!?! because that value is now 317ppm which is pretty darn high.

Nope. Total Hardness is not necessarily equal to Temporary Hardness or Alkalinity.

You are trying to apply the conversion from Alkalinity to bicarbonate concentration (1.22). However, you need to start with the right info. I'm not rooting through your report, but if it tells you Temporary Hardness or alkalinity, then you have a path to the bicarb content.

well after much searching I think I'm out of luck, the report doesn't provide the necessary values and i called the water company, all they did was read off the report I have right in font of me. Thanks for the help guys.

Another option would be to get one of those aquarium test kits for alkalinity and test your water yourself. If that is the only parameter you are missing, that test kit would be well worth it. If you are still missing other ion concentrations, then you may have little choice but send a sample to Murphy's. I understand that there is also someone else on one of the UK homebrewing forums that is performing water testing. You might check that out too.

Back