Boil-0ff rate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chigundo

Reaction score
I recently brewed a lager and did a very vigorous boil for 90 minutes but my boil-off was 3 gallons...that's 2 gallons an hour. Seems insanely high. Is this just something I need to factor in next time or did I boil too hard?

I recently brewed a lager and did a very vigorous boil for 90 minutes but my boil-off was 3 gallons...that's 2 gallons an hour. Seems insanely high. Is this just something I need to factor in next time or did I boil too hard?

That's about what I boil off, but I live in a fairly dry climate, at least most of the year. It's been humid lately, so I boiled off less this summer. But in the winter, I usually do boil off 2 gallons an hour, give or take a few ounces.

If you live in a humid climate, and usually boil off less, then maybe your boil was more vigorous than need be. It just has to turn over to be an effective boil. It doesn't have to jump out of the pot.

I though Pilsner malts and such need a harder boil? Or is this a fly vs batch type of debate?

Not a harder boil, necessarily. Just a 90 minute boil to be more certain that the DMS precursors (SMMs) have an opportunity to escape.

It needs to be a rolling boil, turning over, just like a 'regular' boil. Like I heard Jamil Zainasheff say one time, "You don't have to boil the **** out of it". :D

A rolling boil is all that is necessary. To boil harder is ok, but may increase the maillard (browning) reactions which may not be desirable in light lagers.

I don't often do a 90 minute boil, but when I do have to start with more wort since I do tend to boil off 2 gallons an hour in my set up.

Back