another water report need help reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All around pretty low mineral content. The only mineral present in appreciable concentration is calcium at just over 1 mEq/L. Given the low chloride, sulfate, nitrate etc one can assume an alkalinity of around 1 mEq/L. This water could be treated as RO water for most applications.

All around pretty low mineral content. The only mineral present in appreciable concentration is calcium at just over 1 mEq/L. Given the low chloride, sulfate, nitrate etc one can assume an alkalinity of around 1 mEq/L. This water could be treated as RO water for most applications.

ok, so when I'm using the bru'n water spreadsheet, i've been "diluting" my water with 100% RO water, and then shooting for a mash pH of 5.3-5.4 (usually 5.3 with lighter beers, 5.4 with darker ones). does that seem like it should be ok to do?

I think you could enter 21 mg/L calcium and alkalinity of 50 ppm and represent your water pretty accurately in a spreadsheet. You can also go with the 1/8 - 1/4 gram per liter calcium chloride addition and gypsum to taste philosophy which is suitable for RO water or yours.

Back