Northern Brewer - Sticker Shock!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MT2sum

Reaction score
I got a catalog from Northern Brewer in Minn. The catalog said $7.99 shipping, Every Day! Great! I don't have internet so I have to order by phone, and so I called up and ordered a 6.5 gal glass Bigmouth Bubbler. Problem is, they charged me extra for shipping :mad: I have to drive 60+ miles to get to an internet connection, so I don't get here very often.

The catalog says nothing about extra charges for the shipping ..... Beware of ordering anything from them without knowing if you're going to pay for more than you bargained. :confused:

I had intended to buy more stuff, but they scared me off with the overcharge on shipping :mad:..... I don't know what will be included with the $7.99 shipping or if I'm being charged extra just because I order over the phone!:mad:

Next time I'll order from someone else who doesn't advertise one thing and then change their mind when you order :mad: --- unless I need another Bigmouth Bubbler ;>)!

One bonus tho, they sent a microfiber washrag along with the jar and I used it immediately - worked well. I've heard bad things about the Glass Bigmouth Bubbler, but the glass is about 3/8" thick at the mouth, it's heavy, has graduations on the side, and seems that it will be very dependable as long as I use the sling/harness that's made for it. It's doing it's thing right now, so I think I'll like it ..... Just my 2 centavos

Yes, it does. It says right in the catalogue that "some items do not qualify for the $7.99 shipping rate". Things like wine kits and other heavy items are excluded.

Did you call and complain? Cite the ad?

Did they tell you up front?

Not sure about the catalog, but the website is pretty clear on the product page: "Please note: This item does not qualify for flat rate shipping."

BMB.jpg

Well, I won't echo what others have said; however, I would like to know why you drove 60+ miles to use the internet to post about your issue here and just didn't drive 60+ miles to use the internet to make your order. ;) Not that it would have solved anything as the flat rate shipping does have exclusions. I am fairly sure that the catalog mentions that in the smallest font possible.

Well, I won't echo what others have said; however, I would like to know why you drove 60+ miles to use the internet to post about your issue here and just didn't drive 60+ miles to use the internet to make your order. ;)

Or why you (OP) agreed to pay what you (OP) thought was a gouging overcharge.

I try not to order online anymore unless the shipping is reasonable. I need a 3 gallon carboy but not going to pay extra for shipping. The two LHBS have them for a few dollars more, still less than the additional shipping.

Morebeer.com has free shipping on all orders over $50 but the BMB are a Northern Brewer/Midwest Supplies product so you're stuck with them. Not the biggest fan of NB but some of their products are pretty nifty and always end up tempting me to consider buying stuff from them. In particular, their Maelstrom Stir Plate that can handle up to 5 gallon starters caught my eye.

I found the exclusion statement, to flat rate shipping, at the bottom of page 27, in the summer 2015 catalog. Found it on the third go through.

Well, I won't echo what others have said; however, I would like to know why you drove 60+ miles to use the internet to post about your issue here and just didn't drive 60+ miles to use the internet to make your order. ;) Not that it would have solved anything as the flat rate shipping does have exclusions. I am fairly sure that the catalog mentions that in the smallest font possible.

I made my comment when I did drive the 60 miles for other reasons, not JUST to make the comment! As I said in my comment, it was just a warning to make sure of what qualifies for $7.99 shipping and what doesn't. If the Big Mouth Bubbler was available somewhere else, I most likely would have ordered somewhere else.

Another person says it's on the bottom of page 27 ..... I'll check. THX for all the comments. Have a good day!

Just to add my 2c on sticker shock...are prices up now, or is it just me? 2.99 to 3.99 per ounce of hops? Grains not to bad @ 1.79 to 2.49. Dry yeast up to 3.99, liquid ones mostly 6.99 now. Dang. I know the wildfires last year to this burned up some here to Australia, but sheez...

Just to add my 2c on sticker shock...are prices up now, or is it just me? 2.99 to 3.99 per ounce of hops? Grains not to bad @ 1.79 to 2.49. Dry yeast up to 3.99, liquid ones mostly 6.99 now. Dang. I know the wildfires last year to this burned up some here to Australia, but sheez...

I've noticed grain has shot up around here in the past year. My LHBS is at $2.29/lb for base malts, and specialty malts are $2.72. I don't brew often enough to justify buying sacks. I just bite the bullet and pay the price.

I think you just have to know the rules, take advantage of their specials, and travel to a local store for large items.

I'm sure NB and other large brew shops have a decent profit margin on most things. But they are cutting into that with even the smaller items @ 7.99 flat rate. I used the $20 off $120 deal they had and flat shipped for 7.99. Had all of my hops and specialty malts for my next 6-7 brews, which saves me time in the store picking it myself. A bunch of other resupply items too. Box was so heavy I had a hard time lifting it inside.

I still needed a wine kit and a 55 lb sack of grain (not flat rate eligible) so I drove down to their sister store at Midwest to plop them in my cart. Unexpected 20% off entire order, bam, I was very pleased.

Almost all online stores that offer flat rate shipping exclude large or heavy items!!!!!

Just go to a few sites, use the cart and buy the same on all of them. Go as far through the process until you get your shipped price, then select the one that suits you best. I sometimes pay a little more to receive the goods sooner.

Hops and grain prices - shop around!!! Some sites have the same things at very different prices...

Sticker shock... Welcome to the real world.

I've noticed grain has shot up around here in the past year. My LHBS is at $2.29/lb for base malts, and specialty malts are $2.72. I don't brew often enough to justify buying sacks. I just bite the bullet and pay the price.

Damn, that's crazy. I'm lucky to live about 5 minutes from Adventures in Homebrewing's physical location, but even their website is better than that for base malts. Plus, I just learned that Tuesdays in-store they offer 2-row for 80 cents a pound! :ban:

Damn, that's crazy. I'm lucky to live about 5 minutes from Adventures in Homebrewing's physical location, but even their website is better than that for base malts. Plus, I just learned that Tuesdays in-store they offer 2-row for 80 cents a pound! :ban:
When I was in Tennessee, I was paying no less than $1.95/lb. for base malts .... then I discovered the internet! I've ordered grains from two different sources, no sticker shock for large amounts - HBX in Portland OR, and Love2Brew in NJ. Just ordered over $75 worth of grains and hops. Both orders have included over 50 lb of grains, so I've been happy with that - just not happy with NB and the extra shipping charge ..... but, life goes on! :mug:
I'm sure there are others out there, I just haven't looked too far - NB was a shock becuz I believed the BS on the cover! Next time (When and IF) I'll be more careful ;>)! From some of the comments, I guess there's more out there that will charge more than advertised - guess I'll have to check first - It's a 220 mile trip to the nearest LHBS, and we only make that trip once every month or two, so the net it the best for me. BTW, just found out I can park outside the local schoolduring non-school hours and use their internet for free - WOOT!! - no longer a 60 mile trip to get on the net!

Latest posts

Back