Very short Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oddcarout

Reaction score
I am having a problem with short fermentations. I am brewing one gallon batches, and it does not seem to matter what type of beer, what strain of yeast, whether or not i use yeast nutrient, whether or not i pitch directly, or if I do a starter. I get about 20 hours of really strong fermentation within about 3-5 hours and then about 10-20 hours of really slow fermentation and I am not hitting my predicted F.G. (O. G. is where i expect it to be) I am only making it about 2/3 the way to it. These are all ale yeasts (I can provide specifics later if needed) and the fermenter is showing about 68 degrees F. I am adding about half of what ever yeast packet that I am using, so half a vile of White labs, or half a smack pack of Wyeast (after smacked). I am following the directions for each yeast. Is there something I am missing. I am mashing for 45 min, between 145 and 150, and striking at 170 +/-.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Just to clarify, add nutrient once it has slowed down?

I purchased some iodine yesterday to use with my next batch, just learned about that test this weekend. Don't know how i have missed that for so long.

Thanks

pitching a lot of yeast (compared to the small amount of wort)... at a warm temp (68F) will result in a fast fermentation.

I'd try a smaller pitch and try to control the temperature where it continually warms up over 3 days. Unless the beer tastes good... then I would not be concerned what the FG is.

...other than that I'd be interested in seeing the recipe (is there a lot of crystal or darker kilned malts?).

...also confirming the thermometer calibration to ensure your not mashing warmer than you think. (or mash longer)

Back