Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kettles, Mash Tuns, & Hot Liquor Tanks > MLT manifold issues

Old 02-06-2008, 04:59 PM   #1
Bombo80
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default MLT manifold issues

Last Sunday I brewed up my Westy 12 clone. I found out why my sparge seemed to take forever. My copper manifold I built, came apart during the mash/sparge process. Can't really tell when it happened, but when I was cleaning out the spent grains, the manifold had come apart.

The only piece that was still, somewhat attached, was the one long horizontal piece, that connects to the spigot. I guess I didn't assemble it properly. I have since, HOPEFULLY, remedied this issue. I remember reading on someone else's thread, to slightly bend the tube ends, to make them slightly oblong, then twist the pieces together. After cleaning the manifold, that is exactly what I did. Now I just hope it doesn't happen again.

Secondary - Pomegranate Wine, Red Table Wine, Wild Fox Grape Wine, Blueberry Wine, Surly Furious clone

Bulk Aging - Brewtopia Barleywine, Sugar Beet Wine