WLP644 Brett Trios Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwfishy

Reaction score
Hey gang, I've done a bunch of searching and haven't quite answered the question I'm looking for, only created a few more.

I am brewing Jamil's Biere de Garde, and pitching WLP072 French Ale for the primary. It'll be a high gravity beer, and I am hoping for a malty finish in primary. I was going to split the secondary and let the French finish out, and pitch the brett in the other.

I know I'm not going to get a big funk out of it, I just wanted to dry it out further and clean it up. Its more of an experiment.

Question #1: has anyone done something similar, and what should I expect on the brett end?

Question #2: I've heard some good things about brett under pressure? How soon can I bottle after pitching and not make bombs?

Question #3: I am looking for just a touch of funk, not a crazy funk, is this the right yeast, or should I be looking at the other bretts?

Question #4: Will the brett have enough to chew on, or should I give it a DME boost? I plan on pitching a single vial into a 1000ml starter.

Thanks ahead of time. Hoping to brew this in a few weeks.

Hey gang, I've done a bunch of searching and haven't quite answered the question I'm looking for, only created a few more.

I am brewing Jamil's Biere de Garde, and pitching WLP072 French Ale for the primary. It'll be a high gravity beer, and I am hoping for a malty finish in primary. I was going to split the secondary and let the French finish out, and pitch the brett in the other.

I know I'm not going to get a big funk out of it, I just wanted to dry it out further and clean it up. Its more of an experiment.

Question #1: has anyone done something similar, and what should I expect on the brett end?

Question #2: I've heard some good things about brett under pressure? How soon can I bottle after pitching and not make bombs?

Question #3: I am looking for just a touch of funk, not a crazy funk, is this the right yeast, or should I be looking at the other bretts?

Question #4: Will the brett have enough to chew on, or should I give it a DME boost? I plan on pitching a single vial into a 1000ml starter.

Thanks ahead of time. Hoping to brew this in a few weeks.

Turns out WLP644 is not Brett. Check out their website, it has updated.

I've read the update, and know it isn't brett, but folks have used this strain for a long while now, and know what it does. This is my first stab at funk, if there is another strain to try let me know. Looking for slight funk not the lip puckering sour of some.

Ive used brett trois several times and enjoyed it very much. It will jot give you so much funk as you would like, even if its a little bit. I love this strain because it gives more of a tropical fruitiness to my beers. Its flavor profile is different from regular sachromyces but it is not similar to brett.

It ain't Brett; it wont do diddly squat. It may attenuate the beer a little more, but will not give you any funk flavors.

Brett doesn't sour beers (unless you deliberatly introduce 02). You need other microbes for that. Maybe try Brett-B (WLP650) to get what you are after.

With the Brett B its calling for an ideal temp of 85! not sure if I'll have the ability to keep it that high, will it matter? Where I am going to store it, it'll live 66-68f. But I like the sounds of the Brett B so far, just have to figure the temp thing out.

With the Brett B its calling for an ideal temp of 85! not sure if I'll have the ability to keep it that high, will it matter? Where I am going to store it, it'll live 66-68f. But I like the sounds of the Brett B so far, just have to figure the temp thing out.

I think that is the temperature if you want to bring out the esters in a primary fermentation. Adding to secondary, you don't need to be anywhere near those temperatures. Most of the flavor as a secondary yeast is from conversion of the esters formed by the orifginal yeast.

Brett-B is the yeast Orval adds at bottling. They don't store their bottles at 85 F for a couple of years before release. I've drunk fresh Orval, and it is pretty clean.

It's fine at mid 60's and will continue to develop over a couple of years, bring new depth to the beer. Bottle at low carb levels and see how it changes with time. Brett doesn't take the beer to super-low FGs, a lot of what it does is change the esters created by the sacc yeasts.

I used this for two beers, neither worked out. I don't know why. The yeast was maybe too aggressive and my beers where too thin and bitter.

Around the same time I was using the American farmhouse blend. I had a bunch of infections and I isolated them down to the line and tap that I had the Brett Trois beer on. It doesn't make sense that the yeast caused it, but I changed out that entire side of my kegerator and I won't use either of those strains again.

Back