Can hops give you a morning after headache?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I hate to admit this, but it seems these days if I have two or more Sierra Nevada pale ale beers, I end up with a headache the next morning. This didn't used to ever happen (and I used to drink a lot of Sierra). I don't drink nearly as much beer these days (trying to lose the shed). Perhaps I have lost my "tolerance". I don't notice it with less-hopped beer or even other IPAs in moderation, and not with scotch. So I'm wondering if it is hops, or the specific hops in Sierra Nevada.
This really stinks because I love hops. So has anyone else noticed headaches the next day after drinking certain hops, or Sierra Nevada Pale ale specifically?
Is there a "hop allergy" that one can develop later in life, or that comes and goes?

I used to think that hefeweizens gave me headaches, but I realized it was a subsequence vs consequence thing. Maybe it's just a coincidence that you got a headache after a couple SNPAs. You might have gotten the same headache if you'd had a couple Miller High Lifes.

I used to think that hefeweizens gave me headaches, but I realized it was a subsequence vs consequence thing. Maybe it's just a coincidence that you got a headache after a couple SNPAs. You might have gotten the same headache if you'd had a couple Miller High Lifes.

It's happened three or four times over the past year whenever I've had Sierra. It hasn't happened with any other beers. But its been enough times with Sierra that it seems more than a coincidence. Costco stopped selling Sierra two or three years ago (and raised the price when they brought it back) so I haven't drunk much of it since then. I guess I could tell my wife I need to get a case to do an experiment.

*coughcoughCOUGHCOUGHCOUGHlightweightCOUGHcoughcoughcough*

(j/k) ;)

no need to say J/K. I know! I'm wondering if I'm losing my "tolerance". But it's only Sierra, which makes me wonder if it's the particular hops. I can drink two or three other beers and not have an issue the next day, but Sierra seems to give me a headache these days, but didn't use to, and in the old days I'd drink several more than two bottles.
Has anyone heard of an allergy to hops that causes headaches the next day. I know what a hangover is, but it isn't that (haven't had one of those in a long time).

Does the same thing happen with IPA's from other brands or homebrew?

SN Bottle conditions so there is a bit more yeast in the bottle. I know a few people who have said homebrew / yeasty beers tends to give them headaches. Maybe it's a yeast sensitivity?

no need to say J/K. I know! I'm wondering if I'm losing my "tolerance". But it's only Sierra, which makes me wonder if it's the particular hops. I can drink two or three other beers and not have an issue the next day, but Sierra seems to give me a headache these days, but didn't use to, and in the old days I'd drink several more than two bottles.
Has anyone heard of an allergy to hops that causes headaches the next day. I know what a hangover is, but it isn't that (haven't had one of those in a long time).

You said that you drink IPAs which have more hops than SN so I'd be surprised if it is that. SN uses cascade in their pale ale which is a common hop.

I'd do a test where you have a couple of other APAs and see if that gives you a headache.

I assume it is dehydration related - two beers shouldn't give you headaches.

<or what the poster said above> Could be yeast.

Does the same thing happen with IPA's from other brands or homebrew?

SN Bottle conditions so there is a bit more yeast in the bottle. I know a few people who have said homebrew / yeasty beers tends to give them headaches. Maybe it's a yeast sensitivity?

I like this yeast idea. I'll have to look into that. Any way to test it that you can think of?

You said that you drink IPAs which have more hops than SN so I'd be surprised if it is that. SN uses cascade in their pale ale which is a common hop.

I'd do a test where you have a couple of other APAs and see if that gives you a headache.

I assume it is dehydration related - two beers shouldn't give you headaches.

<or what the poster said above> Could be yeast.

I thought it might be dehydration, so I purposely drank a fair amount of water this weekend when I had two Sierras (and a Negra Modelo), but still had the headache in the morning. I think I can drink two Red Hook Long Hammer IPAs (cheap at RiteAid) and not have any headache.
I'm leaning toward the yeast. That and getting old and probably not drinking often enough. :)

I like this yeast idea. I'll have to look into that. Any way to test it that you can think of?

Easy one would be to drink any other SN beer. Everything they make is bottle conditioned. Pick up a bomber of something else they make and see if you get the same effect.

Easy one would be to drink any other SN beer. Everything they make is bottle conditioned. Pick up a bomber of something else they make and see if you get the same effect.

I guess this is a good reason to go beer shopping! :)

Does anyone here have a "yeast sensitivity" that results in headaches?

If it is an allergy you can perform a skin test to confirm. Mark off a 1 inch square with tape on each inner thigh. Smear a poltice of cascade hops on one and SNPA yeast on the other. Wait and observe. See which one raises a rash. Continue until you've found the culprit.

My wife was a nurse in an allergist's office. This is a crude facsimile of standard practice. Keep an EPI pen handy in case you hit paydirt: Anaphylactic shock.

Note: my medical advice is not to be followed by idiots, savants or anybody in between if it accrues any liability to me.

I'm sure someone will be quick to debunk me, but I swear SNPA gives me a sinus headache the next morning every time. I went to school in Chico and drank quite a bit of it for a few years, but now any time I have it it is the same sinus pressure the next day. Maybe hops? I don't know.

I hate to admit this, but it seems these days if I have two or more Sierra Nevada pale ale beers, I end up with a headache the next morning. This didn't used to ever happen (and I used to drink a lot of Sierra). I don't drink nearly as much beer these days (trying to lose the shed). Perhaps I have lost my "tolerance". I don't notice it with less-hopped beer or even other IPAs in moderation, and not with scotch. So I'm wondering if it is hops, or the specific hops in Sierra Nevada.
This really stinks because I love hops. So has anyone else noticed headaches the next day after drinking certain hops, or Sierra Nevada Pale ale specifically?
Is there a "hop allergy" that one can develop later in life, or that comes and goes?

Could be a hop but it might be yeast too. As funny as that might sound...I have a family member that cant drink certain beers because without fail they will get a headache from it. We aren't sure as to what it might be but she is set on the fact that it is the yeast they use...

If it is an allergy you can perform a skin test to confirm. Mark off a 1 inch square with tape on each inner thigh. Smear a poltice of cascade hops on one and SNPA yeast on the other. Wait and observe.

If I do this test on my G/F, how long am I supposed to wait by her inner thighs and observe? :cross:

Try drinking it again but hydrate before you sleep. i bet its just a coincidence and you are just dehydrated and getting a head ache.

Maybe SN have started using adjuncts.
Large amounts of rice adjuncts will give me a bad headache, even after just one.

I'm sure someone will be quick to debunk me, but I swear SNPA gives me a sinus headache the next morning every time. I went to school in Chico and drank quite a bit of it for a few years, but now any time I have it it is the same sinus pressure the next day. Maybe hops? I don't know.
Thank you! It's good to know I'm not the only one out there. :)
In my case, the thing is I used to drink lots of SNPA with no ill effect (other than a hangover if I really overdid it. But for the last couple of years, two SNPA and I have a headache the next day! I make sure to drink a fair amount of water, but it still happens. But not with other beers.
In any event, I appreciate the ideas and suggestions here, and am leaning towards the yeast and not the hops. I'm also wondering as someone suggested if there was a bit of a recipe change?
I haven't had any SNPA since posting this, but have had Redhook Longhammer IPA with no headache the next day.
I still have to try the inner thigh test, though from the comments above I'm now unsure whether I'm supposed to do it on me or my wife? :)

Thank you! It's good to know I'm not the only one out there. :)
In my case, the thing is I used to drink lots of SNPA with no ill effect (other than a hangover if I really overdid it. But for the last couple of years, two SNPA and I have a headache the next day! I make sure to drink a fair amount of water, but it still happens. But not with other beers.
In any event, I appreciate the ideas and suggestions here, and am leaning towards the yeast and not the hops. I'm also wondering as someone suggested if there was a bit of a recipe change?
I haven't had any SNPA since posting this, but have had Redhook Longhammer IPA with no headache the next day.
I still have to try the inner thigh test, though from the comments above I'm now unsure whether I'm supposed to do it on me or my wife? :)

Well, there's your problem - you should drink more than two! Stopping is what gives you the headache!

:p

If it was the yeast wouldn't you get the headaches after a couple bottles of bottled homebrew? All bottled homebrews will have yeast in them

I don't know how much sugar is actually in the unfermentable sugars found in different malts, but maybe that's the difference? I know I can get headaches from a lot of sugar. Since you mentioned lighter beers and whiskey doesn't do it, that could be a possibility.

I would use this as an opportunity to make some 1 gallon test batches! Make a SN clone, and then two beers; one with the same malt bill and less hops, and one with the same hops and just 2 row.

Easy to test. Don't drink beer one day -- not sure I could do it, but maybe you can. Then, instead of drinking, eat a couple of cascade hop pellets. Don't whine, just suck it up and eat them. Test head for aches in the morning. Sheesh.

Edit: My bad. Sierra Nevada uses whole hops. No problem, just eat a couple whole hops. Maybe one is enough. Report back!

Thanks. Now I'm hungry for leaf hops. Luckily I have some in the freezer.

Back