Added to many hops to the boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aboyd656

Reaction score
It appears as though I added all the hops to the boil and forgot to leave them out for dry hopping. I bought some more hops today, and am wondering if it is a good idea to still dry hop. I am going to take a gravity reading today after work and have my first sample. It has been in the primary for 11 days. I am brewing a West Coast IPA, so it's supposed to be hoppy anyway, but I don't want it to be unbalanced. I assume flavor will dictate, unless of course there is something I don't know???

Edit: The hops I added were 1oz Citra and Mozaic in the last 5-10 min of the boil

Tell us more about your recipe and batch size and such.

IMO, an extra 2oz of hops in the last 5min on a 5gal IPA is little more than a minor weighing error :D

Sounds like you'll be fine. You can't really add too many finishing hops to a west coast style IPA. I would definitely get more hops for a dry hop though. Dry hopping adds a completely different type of flavor/aroma than adding hops to the boil. And it is a very necessary component in IPAs.

What was your full recipe and hop schedule?

It was a 5 gallon batch partial boil. I will post the full recipe tonight. I am at work and don't know it off the top of my head. The only reason it came up was I took a quick look at the kit when I was at my lhbs on my lunch break and saw it called for dry hopping. I should have assumed it would, but I'm pretty new to this. I know for a fact though it wasn't any earlier than the last 10 minutes of the boil

If you bought a kit recipe, then IMO the extra hops will make it better. Kits are generally pretty mild as far as flavor and style and can usually stand to be tweaked..especially when adding more late hop additions with an IPA.

If you bought a kit recipe, then IMO the extra hops will make it better. Kits are generally pretty mild as far as flavor and style and can usually stand to be tweaked..especially when adding more late hop additions with an IPA.

Well in that case, I did it on purpose. :mug:

Yep. With IPAs more late hops is NEVER a bad thing. Bittering could potentially screw up. Even then, at the IBU levels of a typical IPA, the bittering you actually get is often much less than calculated anyway. I (for literally the first time in 3 years, I'm not a hop head) brewed a hop bomb (big IIPA with 1.5 lbs of hops in a 5.5 gallons batch) not too long ago, and at 185 calculated IBUs worried it would be too much. It's not.

Definitely get more dry hops. Even consider doubling the size of the dry hop, or doing a multi-stage dry hop.

I would dry hop with at least 3 oz. I just dry hopped my Galaxy, Citra, Columbus IPA with 4 oz total.

57040364.jpg

Back