which american hops goes well with fuggles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Axelvilhelm

Reaction score
I just brewed an IPA with Belgian yeast and quite a lot of British hops. I'm thinking about dry hopping it with Fuggles, but I'd like to pair it with some American hop for some subtle citrusy aroma. Any suggestions on which one? I used Target for bittering and Styrian Golding & East Kent Golding for the late additions.

how much EKG and styrian did you use at the end? IME youd need like easily 8oz or more of not-assertive noble hops to even approach IPA territory. Basically any american hop starting with a C will get you citrus. But im not sure what you're going for with a "subtle" citrus aroma. Theres nothing subtle about an IPA, I think youve got a Belgian Pale ale on your hands or possibly a saison depending on yeast

how much EKG and styrian did you use at the end? IME youd need like easily 8oz or more of not-assertive noble hops to even approach IPA territory. Basically any american hop starting with a C will get you citrus. But im not sure what you're going for with a "subtle" citrus aroma. Theres nothing subtle about an IPA, I think youve got a Belgian Pale ale on your hands or possibly a saison depending on yeast

Well, for a 3.2 gal batch i added about 0.6 oz target at 60 and 15 mins, 0.6 oz of each EKG and styrian at 15, 5 and 0 mins. So totally there is about 5 oz of hops in a 3.2 gal batch, that should reach just above 60 IBU's. The yeast is Safbrew T-58. I don't really care whether the beer is labelled as an IPA or something else, this is just a slightly modified version of a beer I brewed some time ago (different yeast, more hops). The previous one I dry hopped with fuggle, but this time I'd might also want to add a slight american style citrus aroma, that doesn't get too dominant though.

I was actually thinking of Cascade, that, I think, was obtained by crossing uk fuggle with some other hop.

A tiny amount of Simcoe could complement Fuggles (0.2oz?). Liberty, Willamette or Cascade would be good for something more tried and tested.

Cascade is used here a lot with traditional hops in bitters

edit: just saw you used t-58 so it isn't a bitter :) but I don't see why a bit won't work for what you want

Cascade is used here a lot with traditional hops in bitters

edit: just saw you used t-58 so it isn't a bitter :) but I don't see why a bit won't work for what you want

Yep, this one is a hybrid in many ways. But I think one cannot possibly ruin a beer using cascade (unless you need to strictly stay within a specific genre), so I think I'll go with that one :)

Thank you all for your replies!

Back