Forgot to oxygenate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vesteroid

Reaction score
I brewed a 5 gallon batch yesterday and got it in the fementor around 1 pm yesterday. I just occured to me I completely forgot to oxygenate the wort.

It was bubbling this morning....any advice as to if I should do anything, and what that would be?

You can oxygenate within 24 hours after pitching (respectively) with no issues. If you don't see a krausen yet I would go ahead and hit it, but youll probably be fine regardless. I think Doc on the BN hits his at first pitch, then 12 hours after pitching, then hits it one more time 12 hours after that if no visual signs of fermentation...

I would do nothing if you see bubbles. Your good.

I would look at the bubbles and smile, maybe even have a beer while looking and smiling.

I loves me some O2 wand, but if it is fermenting all by itself, I'd let it continue doing what it does. It will almost certainly take longer than it would hand you wanded the wort, but so what? Unless you need this brew by a date certain, that is.

I would shake it up if I were you. Yeast needs that oxygen and will metabolize it easily, as long as you are within a day or so of pitching. But you could also wait and hope yeast is healthy and not stressed out by lack of oxygen.

What yeast did you use and what is the OG? Dry yeast with a low OG beer may not need aeration. You may have had some aeration during transfer to the fermentor.

I forgot to oxygenate once, about 12 hours later it was doing nothing, so I decided to shake it, IT EXPLODED EVERYWHERE! I couldn't hold the stopper in tight enough, it just kept spraying out!
Don't risk it, leave it a lone! haha!

Back