adding more grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pdaigle

Reaction score
When ordering my grains, I had to order more than what the recipes was asking so now I don't won't to waste any grain so what I want to do is add all the grain and have more water. I come up with the same ABV than orig. but my color is changing when add Crystal Malt 80L so Im not too concern about the color is more the taste so Im wondering if going from 5oz to 16oz will make a big difference. SRM was about 12 and with that add I have 15.

Can someone help me on this, thx I appreciate. Its my second batch so Im learning right now.

Thanks

More than tripling the amount of Crystal is going to leave you with a lot more unfermentable sugars and a sweeter finishing beer.

You're better off putting the excess in a ziptop bag and throwing it in your freezer and using it in the future.

More than tripling the amount of Crystal is going to leave you with a lot more unfermentable sugars and a sweeter finishing beer.

You're better off putting the excess in a ziptop bag and throwing it in your freezer and using it in the future.

What I needed to hear, thx

is this the same for Amber Malt?

I store my malt in plastic bags in sealed plastic tubs in my basement. You want to keep it dry, relatively cool, and sealed from bugs and rodents.

I have about 200 lbs of various grains. They will keep for years under these conditions.

If you want to brew a bigger batch but keep the recipe the same you need to keep the percentages the same - i.e. up all the ingredients including hops. Doubling, tripling the specialty malts is going to change the beer, possibly quite a lot.

If you want to brew a bigger batch but keep the recipe the same you need to keep the percentages the same - i.e. up all the ingredients including hops. Doubling, tripling the specialty malts is going to change the beer, possibly quite a lot.

but will it taste dramaticaly different?

but will it taste dramaticaly different?

You mean if you just up some of the malts and not others? The answer is it depends. Like someone pointed out, more than tripling the crystal malt in a recipe does not sound like a good idea and might come out quite different than the original. Think of it like making soup. If it calls for one clove of garlic and you don't want to waste it so you dump in 4 - maybe not so good. If you double the carrots - really no big deal. If you're not familiar with a malt and what it does, or with making recipes in general, it may be best not to mess with the percentages. If you want to post the whole recipe and let folks know what kind of result you're aiming for we could give you more specific advice.

Brew your recipe as-is and keep the excess grain for later use.... If un-crusheded it'll keep in a cool dry place almost indefinitely. If already crushed, store in the fridge or freezer in an airtight container.... It'll keep for months.

Just randomly doubling or tripling the amount of crystal malts is not a good plan.

You mean if you just up some of the malts and not others? The answer is it depends. Like someone pointed out, more than tripling the crystal malt in a recipe does not sound like a good idea and might come out quite different than the original. Think of it like making soup. If it calls for one clove of garlic and you don't want to waste it so you dump in 4 - maybe not so good. If you double the carrots - really no big deal. If you're not familiar with a malt and what it does, or with making recipes in general, it may be best not to mess with the percentages. If you want to post the whole recipe and let folks know what kind of result you're aiming for we could give you more specific advice.

Really fantastic way of explaining it, imo.

Back