Need Suggestions for Green Bay and Madison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgarretson

Reaction score
I'm heading to Green Bay and then Madison late August for some family stuff and must make a few stops for beer along the way. I'm heading to New Glarus but I'm looking for other suggestions in those two areas if you have them.

Thanks!

Titletown Brewing Company brewpub is a must. Across the street from there is also Hinterland Brewery.

Head up to Door County and you can check out Door County Brewing Company in Baileys Harbor, Shipwreaked in Egg Harbor (but their beer is available at a lot of places around GB), Starboard in Sturgeon Bay is kind of new but worth checking out if you have time. Ahnapee in Algoma is a good time too, next to a winery and with a great view looking over the water.

Head south-west into Appleton and the mall has a decent brewpub, and Appleton Beer Factory is alright.

Good luck avoiding the cheeseheads. Don't ignore the cheese itself, though.

We had a great time and some wonderful pizza and beer at The Grumpy Troll in Mount Horeb, about 30 miles west of Madison. Also really enjoyed Capital Brewing in Madison, fun brewery tour.

In Madison, check out Vintage Brewing. It's one of the best brewpubs I've ever been to. There's one location off the beltway and a smaller one right off campus on Frances and University.

Also hit up the Ale Asylum, and Tyranena Brewing is a short drive east of Madison.

Finally, yes, yes, we're cheeseheads, blah blah, but seriously - New Glarus is a short drive from Monroe, which is home to some of the finest cheesemakers in the world. If you don't feel like a road trip through the western Wisconsin countryside, however, I hear Edelweiss Creamery just opened a store in New Glarus. Edelweiss's Swiss cheese just beat the best cheesemakers in Switzerland to be named best Swiss in the world.

Thanks for the suggestions. I actually have tickets for the Packer Broncos game here in Denver in November. It looks like Monroe is about 25 min south of New Glarus so that's doable. It just depends on what time we get out of Green a at Sunday.

Check out Karben4 in Madison. They took over the building that Ale Asylum moved out of and they're amazing. My favorite is thir Block Party Amber Ale, and another big hit of theirs is their Fantasy Factory IPA.

Man, I had a little half pour of Karben4's "Idiot Farm" double IPA. It was something truly special - a combo of Citra, mosaic, and Simcoe.

As others have said, Ale Asylum and Karben4 are two of the better ones in Madison.

Try to get some Bedlam on tap- it's amazing.

Back