Torn between buying a house.. 2 opposite choices

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which House?

• House 1

• House 2

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mirilis

Lvl 10 Beer Nerd
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I listed my house and it sold in 2 days... yay me right? except I have to find a place and move out. We close in 2-4 weeks and I have 30 days after that to get out. I have looked at a ton of houses and I have narrowed it down to 2 different houses.

House 1 - This house is outside of a town that is close to family. Its about 16 minutes to work and its on 1.3 acres. It has a second garage detached with a loft area in it. (My wife said I can make that 20x28 brick garage my brew/man space. The house is a very nice brick ranch with full finished basement.

House 2 - This house is in a city about 25 minutes from work and 30 minutes from the family that is close in house 1. It is in a sub-division setting. There are lots of kids around for mine to play with and the school district is a little better. It is a ranch with full basement as well. Theres about 1000ft of unfinished space in the basement that could be a nice bar/brewery area (if SWMBO allows it)

So my oldest kid is 4, then 2, then 6 weeks... this house will be a 20 year house and I want my kids to stay in the same school district the whole time... but should i raise them in the country with family, or in the city with a little more opportunity and close proximity to stuff? Its a life style decision I am making more than a house one I think as the quality level and cost of both places is about the same.

Any opinions?

We bought based on school district as a primary concern. Kids need a good education so they can afford to to care for us when we are too old to do it ourselves.

I vote #1. Shorter commute, closer to family, and more space.

I've got 2 year old twins and no family closer than 4 hours away. I would brew (and play golf, and sleep, and...) a lot more if my parents or inlaws were close enough that I could just drop the kids off for the morning.

The city and all it offers is only a short drive away when you want it.

well im not saying one district is bad and one is good.. both are good districts.. one is just a little better than the other.. ive dug through all the ohio.gov school ratings and if you look at performance index they were both given a grade of B.. but I would say that the house 2 is a B+ district. They are building a large new K-8 school in House 1 district

I'd go for house 1:

• closer to family, which I personally find to be a big factor
  • New schools generally have more funding - better equipment, new books, more enthusiastic teachers
  • Larger yard (sounds like), which, since I live in suburban California, would be a big bonus from my perspective
  • and, of course, the guaranteed man cave and brewery can't be ignored! It's easier to deal with a ground level brewery since you would have to spend more getting proper ventilation into the basement.

When I bought my condo all I could think of the whole time when scoping it out was where I could brew and store all my crap. Luckily, I had a much more competent person with me to actually assess the home.

But I can see how school districts is a MAJOR factor. When I lived in Charlotte NC, people tried so hard to get into certain neighborhoods due to the school, even if they couldnt afford it

Having seen the influence of good parenting vs good schooling I would be inclined to go for #1. Being close to family is going to be better for the kids than being closer to friends. Anymore most of my friends kids play with the internet instead of each other even when they are around each other.

Plus with a 6week old you won't get around to converting that area into a brew/bar for quite some time, so go for the one that's more move-in ready.

This might not help you but from experience I would tell you that going by online school ratings, API scores, etc. you can't tell how the schools will work for your kids. We sacrificed a great deal to move into a very expensive (real estate) school district with the highest API scores and ratings we could find. By the time my daughter was in second grade we began to realize the schools actually sucked. API really is just Affluent Parent Index. We moved to a small town with "average " schools when she was in jr high and the reality was those schools, those teachers, and that district were superior in every way. All of that is to say the difference between a B and B+ school, if that is your impression, is probably meaningless.

I'm in a similar boat (house is for sale and actively looking for a new home). My primary concern is the school district my kids will go to. However, I am moving to a district that is the right choice for MY kids. There are other districts that are closer to both my job and my wife's job, but we are NOT considering them because they are too competitive. One of the districts has a H.S. consistently ranked very highly (within the top 10 in New York and within the top 100 in the country AND my company is relocating to this area). However, speaking to parents, former students, seeing student reviews (https://k12.niche.com/rankings/) I realized that the culture those schools have will not work well with the personalities of my kids. So where I'm moving is within a great school district (still very good rankings), but has a much more nurturing environment that I believe my kids (especially my very shy son) will need. So, I sacrifice my commute, but I think it's more important to provide my kids with the right environment to ensure they will succeed in life.

So look at the schools in terms of more than just their rankings and then decide. You'll always figure out a way/place to make beer, but you'll be kicking yourself if your kids end up being miserable in their school.

My 2 cents. Good luck though!

I like #1. Seems like it would be quiet, with plenty of land for the kids to play, maybe vegetable garden, etc. Close to family is a huge bonus. And half the drive time to work is great. More time at home, less gas use, shorter winter driving.

Congrats on the sale! Big choice ahead.

Other things to consider:

• Taxes, both Real Estate and Personal Income. It adds up.
  • Commuting longer - it can get to you, day in day out, week in week out. Also perpetual traffic jams.
  • Investment/resale value. You may want to move again, later. Quality of neighborhood and adjoining ones, as well as school district play a role.
  • HOA. Aside from fees, they can be an asset but also a royal PITA. Personally, I'd avoid them. Don't need more police or power mongers and stupid, arbitrary rules.

From your description I'd lean toward #1, largely because you'll have half an hour less commuting every day, which is more time for your kids, your wife, and of course brewing. Family could cut either way depending on how you get on (sometimes it's nice to have a bit of separation even from those we love!) School districts sounds similar enough that's it's probably less of a concern, unless there's clear evidence that one of the neighborhoods you're looking at is trending downward (which would also affect your ability to resell in the hopefully unlikely event you change your mind in 5 years and want to move again).

One thing I didn't see you discuss in depth is the feel of the "country" vs. "city" neighborhoods. Would the "city" neighborhood allow you to easily walk to restaurants/shopping/cultural activates you'd need to drive to from the "country" house? Priorities differ but walkability has always been important to me. If you haven't done so, spend half an hour walking around each of the houses to get a feel for what the surrounding neighborhood's like, and the area you (and your kids) will potentially be venturing out into on a daily basis.

Good luck with the move!

Im split. While Im more inclined to side with school district, I feel being close to family is also important. My wife and I moved to a different part of the surrounding city for a better school district. I am still 20 minutes from friends and family, but its kind of a hassle to see most friends now. At least you have dedicated brewing space in both choices, which I value as a number 1 priority when moviing. I let my wife handle the rest.

House 1. Family is most important. Raise them right with the best family influence, that is more important than any factor. The school will be what you kids make of it, and that will be based off how they are raised. I made the decision to move to the "best" school district. I sacrifice family time because it's far from work, in hindsight it was the wrong decision.

So my oldest kid is 4, then 2, then 6 weeks... this house will be a 20 year house and I want my kids to stay in the same school district the whole time... but should i raise them in the country with family, or in the city with a little more opportunity and close proximity to stuff? Its a life style decision I am making more than a house one I think as the quality level and cost of both places is about the same.

Any opinions?

I think young kids would appreciate other kids/friends more than "living in the country". They can always do that when they get their own house. Go with your gut.

I'm on the side of family myself , if you and the family get along! Second, no one has asked about taxes. Is there a big difference?
Lots more room in #1- plus room for pets as the kids grow.
I've been in the same house I built 49 years ago. We have a couple of acres & now that the kids are grown lots of room for gardening & pets plus room for visits. Best of all the taxes ha stayed reasonable.

Ignore brewing. When you wake up everyday would you rather the big yard or the convenience of the city? I just moved from downtown Boston to the suburbs for the schools and backyard with woods. I really miss the city and the simplicity of my life there, I walked everywhere and since I worked in the city my commute was a 25 minute walk, 15 min bike ride or 20 minute train ride. I am now on the car a total of 2.5-3 hrs most days...but when we put my daughter to bed, we go check on the vegetable and hop garden and hang out in the backyard looking into the state forest behind us. Totally different worlds with their own benefits. You really need to sit down with your wife and think where you would rather wake up.

I think honestly it is a wash either way. You aren't that far away from family. Or work. Or activities. It just depends what you want to do.

I live 20 minutes bicycling distance from work, but in my predicament I chose proximity because there is no parking at work and other options would be closer to an hour.

Pick the place that is closest to your current lifestyle that you like, unless you hate your current lifestyle and want something different.

Clear as mud:mug: Cheers!

Not much difference in taxes and insurance between the two.. It really is a decision on how I want to raise my kids.. Country and minutes to family, or city and minutes to things like shopping/museums etc.

We decided to pursue house 1.. I grew up in the country and at the time of being a kid didn't think it was awful.. But as an adult I look back and miss it sometimes.

My qualifications for an answer: 3 kids (youngest turns 18 in November)
married 20+ years, now divorced, moved from city area to country:
Its really simple: Ask your wife which house/location she prefers and go with that. Because: #1 happy wife = happy life #2 If she ever complains about the house or its location you can answer "you chose it"
As far as a "brew space" is concerned, you have a young family that should be priority #1, when they grow up and move out you'll have plenty of time for man caves and brewing beer.

Always go with the better schools. It will reflect directly on resale value and ability to sell. You may plan on 20 years, but you never know...

Plus the 15 minutes difference in drive time to family and 10 more in commuting time is such a small difference that it really doesn't matter.

Not much difference in taxes and insurance between the two.. It really is a decision on how I want to raise my kids.. Country and minutes to family, or city and minutes to things like shopping/museums etc.

We decided to pursue house 1.. I grew up in the country and at the time of being a kid didn't think it was awful.. But as an adult I look back and miss it sometimes.

:mug:
I guess I could call my town semi rural, and chosen to keep all three kids in the same school until graduation.
I have about 1.5 acres, great for a garden, swingset, parties, pets, etc.
Hope it all goes smoothly and you enjoy your home as much as I have.

I voted for # 1 simply because it's out of town & likely has more land area. Gives you a bit of peace & quiet, a respite from the city, and space to do things you probably either couldn't do or would be difficult to do in the city. Your kids will find playmates & activities to keep them busy. Might be a little different than a lot of city kids though, IE: 4H, FFA, accelerated study program, household chores, basketball hoop, etc...
Regards, GF.

Go with #1 and put your kids in private school. That way they get a good education and you get 1.6 acres plus a place for a man cave.

I'm sort of in the same position you are in. Getting ready to list my house towards the end of the year. My kids are grown so I dont need a good school district but two requirements for me is a man cave and shed for my boat.

If I had to choose, I'd go with house #1.

I grew up in a tiny community. I now live in a very nice cookie cutter subdivision with two small children. We're looking to move to a smaller community now with a bit more land.

I enjoyed the freedom of my youth, and where we live now, that's not available to my children.

If the school districts are closely comparable, then that wouldn't be a concern to me...

If I had to choose, I'd go with house #1.

I grew up in a tiny community. I now live in a very nice cookie cutter subdivision with two small children. We're looking to move to a smaller community now with a bit more land.

I enjoyed the freedom of my youth, and where we live now, that's not available to my children.

If the school districts are closely comparable, then that wouldn't be a concern to me...

its also a major plus that I can go outside and take a piss without having to be put on a sex offender list. :mug:

So I listed my house and it sold in 2 days... yay me right? except I have to find a place and move out. We close in 2-4 weeks and I have 30 days after that to get out. I have looked at a ton of houses and I have narrowed it down to 2 different houses.

House 1 - This house is outside of a town that is close to family. Its about 16 minutes to work and its on 1.3 acres. It has a second garage detached with a loft area in it. (My wife said I can make that 20x28 brick garage my brew/man space. The house is a very nice brick ranch with full finished basement.

House 2 - This house is in a city about 25 minutes from work and 30 minutes from the family that is close in house 1. It is in a sub-division setting. There are lots of kids around for mine to play with and the school district is a little better. It is a ranch with full basement as well. Theres about 1000ft of unfinished space in the basement that could be a nice bar/brewery area (if SWMBO allows it)

Any opinions?

I grew up in both settings and enjoyed the Subdivision due to easy access to fun and illegal things. I enjoyed country living as it was harder to get and do illegal things, but less likely to get caught when you did.

Back