Hops used the most?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

njviking

Reaction score
Years ago I used mostly noble hops, cascade, centennial, cluster, etc.

I now find myself ripping through a pound of amarillo a month. By far my most used hop. Closely followed by simcoe, chinook, citra, colombus, cencentennial and Perle.

Just wondering what you use most.

Im not intelligent enough to set up a poll but if someone would like to do so I'd offer gratitude.

Probably Cascade. I have a lot in stock so I use many kinds but am partial to APAs so I use a lot of Cascade and Centennial with something else added for change.

My latest is a brown ale that I dry hopped with Nelson Sauvin. It is delicious.

Cascade and Willamette are my two. I'm not a fan of IPA's so anything with a higher AA doesn't get used very often if at all by me

I haven't been brewing long enough to have a long line of brews to draw from, so I'm still figuring out what I really like, but I've used Centennial more than any other.

Probably Cascade. I have a lot in stock so I use many kinds but am partial to APAs so I use a lot of Cascade and Centennial with something else added for change.

My latest is a brown ale that I dry hopped with Nelson Sauvin. It is delicious.

Ooooh...that sounds really interesting. Do tell!

I use a lot of East Kent Goldings. Beyond that, I use a fair amount of Challenger, followed by noble/continental hops (fairly even mix of Hallertauer, Tettenanger, Styrian Goldings, Saaz, and Strisselspalt), and then Cascade and Centennial as base hops for my occasional American styles (went on a kick for a while and had a pound of both on hand, but probably won't brew another American style beer until at least next summer). I use some other hops on occasion, but those are my usual hops.

Centennial and cascade are my house hops for APA/IPA's. With my own recipes I like warrior and northern brewer. I'll experiment with other varieties (am on a New Zealand kick right now).

Centennial and cascade are my house hops for APA/IPA's. With my own recipes I like warrior and northern brewer. I'll experiment with other varieties (am on a New Zealand kick right now).

How you liking those NZ hops? I'm brewing a pale ale tonite using Wai-Iti. The description of them sounds delicious so we'll see.

Im pretty sure simcoe, amarillo, and citra are probably most used now (in recent beers). Probably cascade centennial and columbus a decade or so ago. Although I read somewhere that galena was actually THE most used hop until the big hop surge due to its ease to grow in different climates, resistance to disease, and clean bittering properties

Personally, I've been going through a lot of Belma and Huell Melon. I try to create IPAs with very different tastes than what Im used to and Im loving this combo. I put over a pound total in each IPA so I go through the hops pretty quick...

edit: LOL ^ the same ones I randomly guessed

Cascade, Simcoe, Amarillo, Warrior, and Centennial are the ones I use the most. Usually have a lb or two on hand of each at all times. I've been brewing IPA's and APA's lately.

Simcoe, Amarillo, and Citra are my most used (per my pie chart on BeerAlchemy). Got a few lbs stocked up in the freezer along with some Mosaic and Athanum.

Guess I'm the odd one around here.. been brewing since 1985 and have only ever used: Hallertau, Saaz, Spalt, Tettnang and more recently Magnum and Pearle.

I've always used a buttload of Cascade in my pales and session IPAs. I also use a bunch of Northern Brewer for my cream ales and kolsch brews.

BIG fan of Amarillo, but not easy to find around these parts.

Of course, I have an ample amount of Willamette around as a versatile hop and for use my porters and stouts.

1. Cascade
2. Northern Brewer
3. Willamette
4. TIE - Amarillo, Citra, Simcoe

Cheers everyone!

I keep a supply of Amarillo, Centennial, Cascade and Chinook on hand always, and I love single hop Citras, but when I'm brewing paler beers like cream ales, blonde ales, kolsches and the like, I am very fond of Sterling. It has a Saaz like character I really enjoy.

Guess I'm the odd one around here.. been brewing since 1985 and have only ever used: Hallertau, Saaz, Spalt, Tettnang and more recently Magnum and Pearle.

I find myself more in your boat than with the rest of these folks. While I've heard of almost all the hops listed on this thread, I've used very few of them. People rant about Mosaic. Never used it. Probably never will. I used Galaxy for the first time a few months ago. May be years before I use it again.

Did you mean of odd or old?
Never mind, I'll admit to being both.

Warrior for bittering. Simcoe, Citra, Cascade, Centennial, mosaic, Amarillo for the other applications.

When I started a year or so I ago it was almost all Cascade. They are easy to find, not expensive and make great beer. I then went to Citra. They are harder to find, expensive and make great beer. I have make a few beers with several hop varieties and the complexity also makes great beer. I've decided it's all good. I brewed a nice IPA yesterday using all of these:

Cascade
Summit
Chinook
CTZ
Simcoe
Centennial
Citra

Looking back over my last few years of brewing I'd say columbus. There's something raw and classic to me about sticking my face into a bag of columbus hops, or its aroma flying out of the glass.

Cascade, EKG, hellertau. I decided I'm going to make an effort to start using more northern brewer

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I mostly make German lagers and English ales these days. I use mostly nobles and EKG. I do have a house single hop APA that I make from time to time. I typically rotate through a variety of American hops for that one since the specific hop isn't critical to the recipe.

Back