Lagering question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keppybrau

Reaction score
I let my Vienna lager ferment for about 3 weeks. I took it out on Monday and planned on giving it a day for a diacityl rest, then transfer to secondary. I didn't look at it close before I took it out, but when I went to transfer it, I noticed tiny bubbles floating up to the top constantly as if it was carbonated. It's not gathering any krausen or anything, just a constant bubbles going up. I assume this means it is still fermenting somewhat? So, I've left it out a few more days at room temp, and it is still doing that.
Is an extended diacytl rest a problem? Should I hold off transferring it and crashing it indefinitely until the bubbles stop? Should I put it back to 50 degrees?

the yeast is 34/70.

I let my Vienna lager ferment for about 3 weeks. I took it out on Monday and planned on giving it a day for a diacityl rest, then transfer to secondary. I didn't look at it close before I took it out, but when I went to transfer it, I noticed tiny bubbles floating up to the top constantly as if it was carbonated. It's not gathering any krausen or anything, just a constant bubbles going up. I assume this means it is still fermenting somewhat? So, I've left it out a few more days at room temp, and it is still doing that.
Is an extended diacytl rest a problem? Should I hold off transferring it and crashing it indefinitely until the bubbles stop? Should I put it back to 50 degrees?

the yeast is 34/70.

A cool liquid holds more gas than a warm liquid. As the beer warmed, it started releasing CO2 and will do that for days. I don't think your beer is still fermenting just releasing CO2.

Checking the SG with a hydrometer will tell you if it's still fermenting. It may still be fermenting - I've had lagers take much longer than I thought to reach the required SG for the rest.

Back