Wyeast saison-brett blend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LouBrew13

Reaction score
I'm almost a week into primary with this yeast in my saison.

I've never worked with brett before so I had a question for those much wiser.

Should I rack after primary?
Should I let it sit on the yeast?
How long should I let it rest with the pellicle?

When kegging should I siphon from underneath as usual until that pellicle is almost at the bottom of the carboy?

Thanks I have high hopes for this batch and really want to see how my regular recipe fairs with this yeast.

Cheers

I wouldnt bother with a secondary. The length depends on when you are happy with the brett character. I usually do 2-3 months for mine which is on the shorter side but IME I get plenty of brett flavors at that amount fo time. Keep in mind that brett will produce acetic acid in the presence of oxygen so the more you take samples the more sourish itll get.

The pellicle doesnt matter. Its just brett way of trying to shield itself from the air and keep other bugs out. YOu most likely wont see a pellicle until after you take a sample. Just rack from underneath it like you normally do

So leave it undisturbed on the yeast cake for a few months?

That goes against everything I've ever learned or have done.

Yeah thats what Ive done for my brett beers. I try to minimize oxygen exposure so it doesnt produce too much acetic acid.

Ive read that a while back people were always advised to get the beer off the yeast as soon as fermentation finished but these days we have access to much healthier yeast. Theres people around here that have left beers for 5 or 6 months on the primary cake and everything was alright. Then there was that one dude that found a 3 year old stout still in primary...

Thanks moops appreciate the input. I'll post info when it's ready.

I heard recently that some Brett strains are so hungry that they consume/convert the byproducts and mess of autolyzed yeast, that's why the beer can sit on it for a long time.

I plan on brewing with this blend before leaving on a trip next month. I typically leave Brett beers in primary unless I'm fruiting them. I would recommend going 6 weeks before sampling. Then sample again after 8 weeks. If Gravity is stable, I would go ahead and package. If the Gravity has dropped, even just another point, leave it alone and take a reading again in two weeks. Brett can be a very slow worker. Brett metabolizes dead sacch cells and the esters created from the sacch fermentation, so there isn't a need to rack off the cake unless you plan on some extended aging and want to minimize headspace to avoid acetic creation.

Can I dry hop with this yeast and if so like a week before kegging?

I would hate to disturb anything if I'm not supposed to.

Yes, you can dry hop. As the hop flavor fades over time the brett will do some fun things flavor wise with it. Dry hop like you would normally. A week is fine.

Back