Creating a sweet without pasteurisation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yerbabie

Reaction score
Hi all,

I mainly stick to off the shelf cider, and they normally come with a satual of "something" that you add to make it sweet on bottling. What is this?

I'd like to get some to add to a batch I have on the go at the moment made from scratch, I'm not sure I want to go down the stove top method, I followed the thread above for about 50 pages and decided I'd avoid it. But keen to keep it sweet. I normally Let it run out to dry, then rack, add about 130grams Suger to 23Litres and bottle (Along with the "stuff" and flavours).

Cheers

To avoid using the stove and having a fizzy cider, you will need to add unfermentable sugars at bottling time along with your secret "stuff" et al.

I suggest using Xylitol as an unfermentable sweetener. Doesn't have an aftertaste like artificial sweeteners. About 3 TBSP per gallon works for me. You can find it in health food stores.

I suggest using Xylitol as an unfermentable sweetener. Doesn't have an aftertaste like artificial sweeteners. About 3 TBSP per gallon works for me. You can find it in health food stores.

Thanks Maylar, I'll try to grab some today, the bubbling has stopped and it's bottomed out at 1, I'll drop the temp a bit and try to clarity for a few days then rack and look into adding some brown suger and Xylitol for a sweet carb, maybe add some black tea?

Yay, I found some, and it's only 32 times the price of Suger :drunk:

Fingers crossed....

Stevia granules do not contain fermentable carbohydrates, Splenda granules do. My wife makes incredible low carb desserts, but it takes a combination of different sweeteners so there is no "fake" taste when eaten.

Back