Question on mash rest times

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atouk

Reaction score
I am planning to brew a Brooklyn Summer Ale clone this weekend, and the recipe I found is a little light on some details. It calls for a protein rest at 122 °F and a saccharifacation rest at 152 °F, but fails to say how long to rest for. This is only my second all grain brew, so while I've read plenty on the process my real experience is somewhat lacking.

How long would you all suggest for the protein rest? Is this step even that necessary?

For saccharification I assume that just goes on until conversion is complete, right?

Grain bill is 6lb 5oz 2-row and 2lb 11oz pilsner malt

Thanks!

How long would you all suggest for the protein rest? Is this step even that necessary?

I think it is generally agreed that unless your step mashing for the fun and challenge of doing so that a single infusion is all that is required.

The protein rest in particular has been said to have detrimental effects on modern, well modified malt.

I've heard more or less the same, today's well modified malts really don't need multi step mashes. I've done it a few times for a decoction mash for an Oktoberfest, but otherwise never bothered.

I agree with the others. The 122* rest is unnecessary, and was probably incorrectly included due to the pils malt in the bill. Pilsner malt used to be undermodified, and that rest could help but is not needed now.

Common rest time for saccharification is 60' though it is probably done before that. An iodine test will tell you when conversion is complete.

If you do want to do the 122* rest for s**ts and giggles, I would keep it to 10-15 minutes.

Thanks for the quick feedback. I am always happy to receive advice that results in a less complicated brew day!

There are some merits to step mashing based on what minimal study into it I've done.

I've been playing with step mashes via direct heating the mash or by infusions and also one decoction of late.

As others have mentioned, protein rests, acid rests, and the like are not typically needed with fullymodified malts. The enzymes that work at these temperatures have been denatured in the fully malting of the grains.

Differing saccharification rests are of more use I think. Here is the last mash I did.
Step Mash With a single Decocction.
Alt Mash Profile.png

Infusions with a single decoction at mash out. My rests are shorter than usually seen in the literature as I mill the grain finely. Things happen faster that way.

I say, give it a whirl once you have really learned your system and can do a single infusion mash in your sleep. More work involved for sure particularly if you are directly heating the tun. Get ready for a lot of stirring. There are some non-flavor changes that step mashes can impart byall acounts. Not crucial by any means but fun to do nonetheless.

Another way to monitor mash progression is to take SG readings of the wort during the mash. When the SG stops rising, the mash is done. Mash should be given a quick stir before sampling. This method is easy if you have a refractometer, but not so much if all you have is a hydrometer.

Brew on :mug:

Protein rests can be great for beers with lots of wheat/oats. But do the protein rest with just the wheat and oats and a small (1lb) amount of base malt. The add the remaining malt during the sacc rest.

Or just skip the protein rest and it will likely still come out good.

Glad I noticed this thread before I posted, because I pretty much had the same question. There are a few all grain recipes from 'The Joy Of Homebrewing' that I'm planning on trying at some point, but they all call for overly complicated step mashes. So if I'm understanding the general consensus correctly, the recipes would still turn out just fine with a single infusion mash versus a step mash?

You are correct @Michigan_wolfman . That seems to be the consensus. Quite a few recipes give two options for a mash if you look at the lagers/wheats and hybrids on Northernbrewer's site.

Good to look at a few here and there get an idea for what temperatures single infusions are done for differing styles.

I say, give it a whirl once you have really learned your system and can do a single infusion mash in your sleep. More work involved for sure particularly if you are directly heating the tun. Get ready for a lot of stirring. There are some non-flavor changes that step mashes can impart byall acounts. Not crucial by any means but fun to do nonetheless.

I will probably give it a try...someday. My system has a dedicated HERMS that should allow for decent control on temp steps, so it would be nice to prove my equipment can handle it even if its not always necessary. For now I'm glad to concentrate on getting single infusions right.

Back