Kegging an Oberon Clone (American Pale Wheat Ale) Tonight

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corypedia

Reaction score
So after some digging online I found that I should be kegging the Oberon clone I brewed so it has about 2.5 volumes of CO2. My kegerator sits at about 45* so using the calculator, I estimate I'll need to set it at about 15 PSI.

Knowing that, what is the best way to have this fully carbed by next Friday, August 7th?

What should PSI should I start with initially to get it close to 2.5 volumes as quickly as possible, so I can then turn it to the needed 15 PSI and let it sit?

NOTE: Not wanting to roll the keg around :)

45F? Thats the warmest Ive heard of people keeping their kegerator. My kegs are usualyl sitting for a few weeks at 30psi room temps before theres space for them in the kegerator. But the few times Ive wanted to get a new keg carbed very soon ive been able to do it in 2-3 days without extensive rolling and risk of overcarbing.

I'd crank it to 30psi and shake it back it forth on its foot a few times then just stick it in at serving pressure. If you want it a bit quicker, you could leave it at 30psi overnight, but be sure to vent and set it back down in the morning. Using this method, it will definitely be carbed by friday

its at 45* currently as I have some stouts on tap, though they are coming off next friday. with that said though, i think the flavors come through better right off the tap than at sub 40's...at least to me.

I'd crank it to 30psi and shake it back it forth on its foot a few times then just stick it in at serving pressure. If you want it a bit quicker, you could leave it at 30psi overnight, but be sure to vent and set it back down in the morning. Using this method, it will definitely be carbed by friday

Thanks

I always initially set mine to 30 psi in the fridge for 36-48 hours (no shaking) then vent them and set to serving pressure. They are usually pretty well carbed in 1 week.

If you want it carbed quick; chill the keg, dial your CO2 to serving pressure +2psig. Shake the piss out of it for a minute and change, have the keg on the side so you have more liquid surface area contacting gas.

Back