80mm computer fan. Big enough??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigTerp

Reaction score
I wired up an 80mm computer fan to a cell phone charger last night to help circulate the air in my Nostalgia kegerator. It's 5.1cf. The fan is wired to a charger that has an output of 4.5-9.5V with a max of 800ma. The fan is rated at 230ma and 12V, so I'm good there. The fan has an output rating of 32.5cfm max. With my charger having a max output of 9.5 volts, I'm assuming the fan is running at about 3/4 speed and giving me around 24cfm of airflow. It doesn't feel like much though. If I hold the fan up to my face I can feel a very gentle breeze coming from it. Using my hand I can barely feel it. Is that enough airflow to get things stirred up in the fridge? If not, will a 120mm fan put out more cfm's even though my charger max's out at 9.5V? Maybe an additional 80mm fan would be a better idea?

For reference I put a solo cup of water on the bottom of the fridge and one on the compressor hump right next to the cold plate. This morning the floor cup measured right at 40 degrees. The cup on the hump measured 36-37. Not a bad temp. differential really.

Here is how it's setup.I made some legs for the fan out of some aluminum angle I had laying around. It blows up and I positioned it under my tower hole to hopefully help keep the cooper pipe cold.
IMG_20150728_195044_zpswhywjfdt.jpg

You don't need strong winds in there. A gentle breeze should be enough to keep temperature stratification down to a minimum.

Thanks. That's what I was thinking, but since it seems like such a small amount of air I wanted to see what you guys thought. Just need to fine tune the thermostat and all should be good.

Plenty more than enough.

I have to add a fan to my kegerator. I have a squirrelcage fan from work, but I can't see an easy way to get it installed. I might have to just go with a computer case fan like you.

Once you get a gentle breeze going, it will move all that cold air around.

I got mine off eBay for under $5. Had the charger laying around. There are plenty of fans to be found on eBay.

Latest posts

Back