Keg Force Carb Question - Weird Schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpalfrey10

Reaction score
So I'm kegging for the first time tonight, and, while I like the simplicity of setting at serving PSI and leaving for 2 weeks, I don't think I have the patience plus that will cut off viable time for what is a very hoppy beer.

I like what I've read on the this forum re: set to 30 PSI for 48 hours, release CO2 from head space, set to serving PSI (10-12 PSI), then leave for another 48 hours and then tweak from there if necessary. First, does that right?

Second, and more importantly, I'm leaving town early tomorrow morning for 4 days, so I won't be back to turn down the pressure from 30 PSI after 48 hours. So my question is, does anyone have an estimate for what PSI (less than 30 I'm guessing) that I could leave the beer at for 4 days, and then turn it down to serving pressure when I return on the night of the 4th day?

Any alternative ideas would be much appreciated. FYI, the beer is cold crashing now and I hope to have it around 45 degrees by the time I keg it.

Thanks!!

I'd set the regulator at 30 psi for overnight, and then purge and reset to 12 psi before you go out of town. Otherwise, it will be overcarbed.

I usually do 24-36 hours at 30 psi for a warm keg going into the kegerator, because by 48 hours it could be overcarbed.

Thanks guys! My beer will likely be at 45 degrees in the keezer till I learn how to re-program the temp controller, but it's good to know that it doesn't take 2 weeks at serving pressure to get there. Also good to know that 48 hours at 30 psi will overcarbonate. Given that I'm not at 38 degrees but rather 45, do you still think I'd be carbonated within 5-7 days at serving pressure?

Thanks again, appreciate the advice.

Thanks guys! My beer will likely be at 45 degrees in the keezer till I learn how to re-program the temp controller, but it's good to know that it doesn't take 2 weeks at serving pressure to get there. Also good to know that 48 hours at 30 psi will overcarbonate. Given that I'm not at 38 degrees but rather 45, do you still think I'd be carbonated within 5-7 days at serving pressure?

Thanks again, appreciate the advice.

It may not be fully carbed in 7 days, but it'd be close. If you can kick start it by keeping it at 30 psi for one night (but don't forget to turn it down before you go!), it could be very close.

At 45 degrees, you probably want to go with 14 psi. Make sure you have long lines (at least 10-12') because warmer beer tends to foam quite a bit.

Thanks Yooper, what's your preferred keezer/kegerator temperature? Once I figure out how to reprogram my controller I'll set it to that.

Thanks Yooper, what's your preferred keezer/kegerator temperature? Once I figure out how to reprogram my controller I'll set it to that.

My fridge is colder, at 40 degrees. But that's because it just is, and not because I set it there. :D

I generally let the beer warm a bit as I tend to drink it pretty slowly, so I think 45 is just fine if you like it there. It's just that you probably will need longer lines to accommodate the higher psi that a warmer setting requires. Not a problem at all if you already have 12' lines, but if you've got 6' lines, it could matter.

I messed with my kegs thermostat wiring to get it to 36F, but I like my beer cold no matter the style.

I usually keg my beers and set them at 30psi for weeks at room temp before I have room in my kegerator. But if I had just kegged a beer and was in your situation, I would set it at 30psi and shake it back and forth a bit. Youll hear more CO2 going into solution. Then put it in your kegerator and only vent and turn it down to 12-14 right before you leave.

Id be willing to bet its carbed up nicely by the time you get back in 4 days

I'm a big fan of leaving it at the serving pressure, but laying it on its side and rocking it for a minute or two and repeating every hour or so, with the CO2 attached, for a couple iterations. You can hear the CO2 bubble in to the keg after rocking it, so I can tell when it stops taking up more CO2. Then I take off the CO2 and leave it on its side over night (because if you leave the CO2 attached while on its side you'll get beer in your line). Next day I set it upright and hook it back up to the pressure. It seems to be ready to serve pretty quick after that, maybe 2-3 days? The shaking it is my best attempt at forcing the CO2 into the beer, much like using a stone might. Laying the keg on its side allows more surface area of the beer to be in contact with the CO2 so better gas exchange.

At least, that's the theory and process I'm working with.
-Kevin
-

Back