Hops choice for biab smash beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LostHopper

Reaction score
What would be a good hops choice for a biab smash beer?

What might be a bad hops choice?

High alpha dual purpose hops would be good. Usually the point of a SMaSH is to try a base malt and a hop that you've never tried before so I would go have a chat with the folks at your LHBS and see what they have. There are a lot of cool new dual purpose hops out there to try so have fun!

Cascade would be the classic, but you're probably familiar with that one. Centennial is a good choice (my favorite), but Sudbuddy is right. SMaSH beers are a great platform to try out new hops and see what you like/don't like. Whenever a new hop comes out, I do a Maris Otter SMaSH with the new hop to take it for a test drive.

Read the description of the hop characteristics. Use one that sounds interesting. I did a Maris Otter with Nugget hops, which are usually for bittering. It was quite different but good.

I love smash IPA's.

Maris Otter + El Dorado = Rich and tropical
Golden Promise + Amarillo = Slightly sweet and tangerine
2Row + Simcoe = Light, crisp and piney, resiny citrus (Favorite so far)

I have done 3 SMaSH recipes and all were great. 1. Golden Promise/Cascade, 2. 2-Row/Cascade, and 3. Marris Otter/Willamette.

This isn't an answer but I find it amusing when brewers ask for a BIAB recipe as if the recipe would be any different using other all grain methods. The question is the same regardless of the method :) (I think....)

This isn't an answer but I find it amusing when brewers ask for a BIAB recipe as if the recipe would be any different using other all grain methods. The question is the same regardless of the method :) (I think....)

Since I've never done any other all grain brewing method I wasn't sure if it did make a difference.

Another $0.02 worth of my advice;

Don't get hung up on the published 'use' of the hop, i.e. bittering vs aroma. One of my very favorite SMaSH's to do uses lots of Columbus in the last 20 minutes all the way to flame out.

Don't get hung up on the published 'use' of the hop, i.e. bittering vs aroma. One of my very favorite SMaSH's to do uses lots of Columbus in the last 20 minutes all the way to flame out.

Columbus is pretty widely accepted as a dual purpose hop these days. I've often wondered what a Warrior or Magnum SMaSH would taste like, but I don't really want to have a whole 5 gallons of it

Columbus is pretty widely accepted as a dual purpose hop these days. I've often wondered what a Warrior or Magnum SMaSH would taste like, but I don't really want to have a whole 5 gallons of it

Yeah, I guess that's the point I was trying to make. Seems like people are less rigid about hop 'use' than when I first started, but I still see people holding on to the idea.

I did a Pilsner/Magnum (Magnum P.I.ls of course). I did additions at 60' 20' and 1'. It was pretty mild, but I didn't use a whole lot. It wasn't bad, just that I prefer more hop character like from Saaz, Tettnang, etc.

Galena was surprisingly good in a couple of SMaSH's I did. Again, not a huge amount of character but nice.

I used 2 oz at 60min 2 oz at 5 min and 2 oz at flameout . What was your hop schedule and how did it turn out? I just bottled mine yesterday and can't wait to try it out..

I've been drinking the hell out of it recently. Brewed Mid May. It's just a touch sweet, but pretty well balanced. Certainly sits very well as a Pale Ale vs IPA.

Recipe: Vienna Mosaic Smash TYPE: All Grain mashed at 152F

Style: American Pale Ale
---------------------
SRM: 5.6 SRM
IBU: 40.6 IBUs Rager
OG: 1.054 SG
FG: 1.014 SG
BU:GU: 0.755 Est ABV: 5.3 %
EE%: 75.00 % Batch: 8.00 gal Boil: 10.08 gal BT: 60 Mins

Total Grain Weight: 16 lbs Total Hops: 5.00 oz oz.

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
1.00 oz Mosaic (HBC 369) [11.70 %] - Boil 45.0 m Hop 2 31.3 IBUs
1.00 oz Mosaic (HBC 369) [11.70 %] - Boil 15.0 m Hop 3 9.3 IBUs
3.00 oz Mosaic (HBC 369) [11.70 %] - Boil 0.0 mi Hop 4 0.0 IBUs

Or you could go a completely different route to a non-IPAish SMASH. One of my favourite brews so far has been:

Pilsner malt
Spalt hops (4%) at 60, 30, 15 and 5 mins
Belle Saison Yeast

Was delicious and spicy.

Anyone try a LemonDrop SMASH? I don't think that it would lend itself to bittering much but I have a pound and would like to give it a spin. Maybe Marris Otter/LemonDrop?

What do you think about the combination of 2-row and Columbus?

Back