First Time -Bourbon Barrel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jordy

Reaction score
I brewed a nice stout (KTG) and am ready to try my first attempt at using used bourbon barrel. Been looking for guidance but its been incomplete. So a few questions
Do I use a rubber stopper or can I simply use the bung?
How long should this rest in the barrel?
Assuming I bottle carbonate after it comes from the barrel?
Any tips on others who have done this previous so I don't screw it up?

Thanks

Do I use a rubber stopper or can I simply use the bung?

I always used a rubber stopped with an airlock attached. It might not have been necessary, but I didnt want any potential pressure building in the barrel.

How long should this rest in the barrel?
It depends on the size of and freshness of the barrel and how oaky/boubony you want it. If it is a fresh dumped from the distillery, you will have a lot of bourbon flavor in there. The smaller the barrel, the quicker the flavor will be infused into your beer. Taste the beer at least once a week. I did a big stout in a freshly dumped 15 gallon barrel and it was in there for only 4 weeks before the flavor was good.

Assuming I bottle carbonate after it comes from the barrel?
Yes. You do not want any pressure in the barrel.

Any tips on others who have done this previous so I don't screw it up?
Have a beer ready to get into the barrel once this one is done. That or make a holding solution with potassium metabisulphate and citric acid. Dont let the barrel dry out. You should get a few good beers with the oak/bourbon flavor from it and then can sour it if you are so inclined :D

I used a new 5 gal barrel to age a Founder's Breakfast Stout. Here's what I did:
  1. Filled with distilled water to swell staves (several days of adding water).
  2. Emptied, then swirled with 8 oz. Maker's Mark.
  3. Flushed with CO2, then filled with fermented Stout
  4. Capped with airlock in a stopper
  5. Aged 30 days.
  6. Filled keg with CO2, then transferred Stout from barrel
  7. Rinsed barrel, cleaned spout, refilled with distilled water for storage to prevent staves drying out
  8. Aged in keg another 30 days, carbed and served
Best beer ever!

Awesome advice. Thanks. So the only issue I am facing now is that the barrel is an 8 gallon one and my stout is 5 gallons so way more air in there than I would like. Hoping the high alcohol content and a 4 week sit will not cause too much oxidation. Fun experiment nonetheless!

Flush your barrel with CO2 first if you are going to have that much headspace. With the barrel not full, you could run the risk of it drying out on the top half. It probably wouldnt happen in a few weeks, but if you continue to put 5 gallon batches into the barrel, consider waxing the top half.

Back