Solvent/Alcoholic flavors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UltraHighABV

Reaction score
I recently brewed a weisenbock OG 1.088

I fermented at ~60F for 1 week in my fridge, removed it, SG was 1.050

instead of puting it back in the fridge i let it rip at RT (72F)

1 week later im at 1.019 which is right on the money; I tasted it and it had strong solvent like flavors that made it bothersome to drink

I want to ask if my ferm. temp is really to blame here, or if I could have potentially over-oxidized and/or over pitched which would contribute.

I oxygenated chilled wort for 2 mins at 1.5L/min prior to pitching, and pitched a raging 2L starter of WLP300 (that was oxygenated, stirred and had nutrients for 18hrs)

Am I over oxidizing/pitching? or was my fermentation temp the issue here?

My vote would be fermentation temp.

It'd be pretty hard to over oxygenate 1.088 wort. Besides, overpitching/oxygenating doesn't generally contribute to solvent like flavors. High ferm temp does.

is 1.5L/min for 2 mins standard? What's other peoples oxygenation rate for curiosity?

The valve on my tank goes from .25 to 8

I use .25 for my starter, anything over 1.5 in the wort and the bubbles are too vigorous

Condition it out. Put it in a carboy, airlock it and let it sit in a cool closet for a few months. Yes, you may lose some of the phenols you wanted (banana, clove, spice) to a degree, but hopefully the yeast will be able to condition out the nasty high ferment temps. It's a big, complex, malty beer so a little extra conditioning time will only make it better and more complex.

Edit: Your beer will be fine.

This is a bit of a different style, but in the book Brew Like A Monk nearly every recipe is fermented for about 5 days. Pitched usually in the mid 60s, then allowed to free rise to the mid- to upper-70s. That much temp rise in 4-5 days, and they're reaching terminal gravity in that amount of time. The book covers Trappist, abbey, and similar high gravity Belgian strong ales. I know that they have significantly different equipment than us, but there's got to be something we are doing wrong if they're capable of doing that.
Then they usually basically lager them for 2-3 weeks after that. They're not losing any of those yeast characteristics mentioned above in that amount of time. Try lagering it and see if that helps. I don't know much about the style you brewed but I wouldn't be surprised if it's normally lagered as well.
But yeah if it's solventy that could be fusel alcohols, which won't really condition out. If it's just a strong alcohol flavor it's cause you've got a pretty high percentage beer here, and it just needs time to let the malt flavor round out.

fermentation temp too warm, It fermented too quickly. Whats the yeast? If you let it sit for a month conditioning, it should mellow out.

it was WLP300

is there a difference here if I conditioned in a secondary, vs conditioning in bottles?

nah it will give you the same result. I usually condition in the keg after purging with CO_2. no light, no air, best conditioning.

Optimal fermentation for WLP300 is 68-72*F If you set the fermentation chamber at 72*F, chances are the actual fermentation temp was 6-8*F higher or more. Id guess more like 78-80*F. Do you have one of those temp stickers on your fermenter to show temp of the reaction inside? Once it starts exploding with activity, the fridge is gonna have trouble keeping up.

Next time a good target might be 65-68*F

Back