Painting SSR heatsink

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don204

Reaction score
I bought this heatsink off eBay and it either got some cheap black paint or black anodized coating on it but it scratching off and looks bad.

Could I spray it with Rustoleum? Would it have any ill effects on how well it transfers the heat?

Here we go again...

the fins on a heatsink are supposed to dissipate the heat into the air... when they are covered with paint (an insulator ) this makes it harder for the heat to escape the alumimum but if its anodized or special paint for heat transfer you could actually see an improvemnt because the black absobing heat better than silver.

I bought this heatsink off eBay and it either got some cheap black paint or black anodized coating on it but it scratching off and looks bad.

Could I spray it with Rustoleum? Would it have any ill effects on how well it transfers the heat?

Yes, it would diminish the effectiveness of the heat sink.

How much it would diminish it is dependent on a number of things, such as the thickness of the coat of paint.

In practical terms, one can't say for sure how much the effectiveness would be diminished without an actual test.

So I propose that you paint it and then if your SSR fails you post back in here that it failed and it took x days / weeks / months to fail. Do it for science!

They do make a paint specifically for radiators that's supposed to be better for transferring heat.

If you aren't using that, then I wouldn't paint it.

Unless you are sure your heatsinks are sized way over requirements. Then it doesn't really matter.

If it is anodized, then it shouldn't be flaking off, but it can get scratched (although the anodized coating is pretty hard, as it is aluminum oxide.) If it is painted, you might want to strip the paint.

As has been said above, any paint will add an insulation layer to the surface of the heat sink, which will increase the thermal resistance between the heatsink and the air. However, a very thin coating of black matte paint will likely increase the amount of radiation heat transfer from the heat sink (bare aluminum is a lousy radiator.) The increased radiation, may have a bigger effect than the increased thermal resistance, and you might get an improvement in heat dissipation by painting. Heat transfer principles are fairly easy to understand, but the details are very complex to model accurately, and every configuration is different.

Black paint (remember thin & matte), will be more effective if you don't have a fan blowing air along the heatsink fins. If you have a fan, then radiation cooling will play a smaller part, and the paint will not be as beneficial.

Whatever you do, don't paint the contact area between the SSR and the heatsink, and do use a thin layer of thermal compound there.

How's that for a non-answer? :D Like I said, there aren't very many simple or definitive answers to general questions when it comes to thermal transfer. It always comes down to it depends (on all the details of the configuration.)

Brew on :mug:

Bare aluminum is a lousy radiator?

The thermal conductivity of aluminum is almost the highest common metal there is, behind copper...

Aluminum has high thermal conductivity, but low emissivity. Radiation is affected by emissivity.

Aluminum has high thermal conductivity, but low emissivity. Radiation is affected by emissivity.

Gotcha, but how does the surface of an untreated aluminum heatsink compare with a painted heatsink? I'm assuming the variance in emissivity is due to the surface area differences between the various types of aluminum.

Does the paint help or hurt?

If the paint is not very conductive, will it act as an insulator to the aluminum? There is a wide range of emissivity in aluminum, from a high gloss (terrible) to a matte surface (much better).

At what point does adding a thin coat of matte black paint help? Would using a specially formulated paint (both high in conductivity AND emissivity) be helpful?

These are academic questions. IMO it should not be difficult to get the heatsink in question to do it's job through size/surface area and/or airflow.

Gotcha, but how does the surface of an untreated aluminum heatsink compare with a painted heatsink? I'm assuming the variance in emissivity is due to the surface area differences between the various types of aluminum.

Does the paint help or hurt?

If the paint is not very conductive, will it act as an insulator to the aluminum? There is a wide range of emissivity in aluminum, from a high gloss (terrible) to a matte surface (much better).

At what point does adding a thin coat of matte black paint help? Would using a specially formulated paint (both high in conductivity AND emissivity) be helpful?

These are academic questions. IMO it should not be difficult to get the heatsink in question to do it's job through size/surface area and/or airflow.

Surface area plays a small role in emissivity, but whether the surface is conductive or dielectric seems to be the biggest factor. Metallic surfaces tend to reflect IR light rather than absorb it. If absorption is low, so is emissivity. Here's a table of some emissivities:

tab11Emittances_web.jpg

Whether paint will help or not depends on the ratio of convective(air flow over the heat sink) heat transfer to radiation heat transfer. I did some back of the envelop calcs the last time this topic came up, and the best you could do with a high emissivity heat sink is 1/3 radiation transfer and 2/3 convective. So, working to improve the convective transfer will give you a bigger bang for the buck, and paint will always reduce convective transfer (although it may not reduce it more than the radiation transfer increases.)

The following shows max SSR heat output (watts) for a 240V and 5500W load:

SSR Heat Dissipation.png

And the following table shows radiation heat loss (watts) for various heat sink temps and emissivities. These are only estimates, as there a lot of simplifying assumptions involved.

Radiation Heat Loss.png

So, if you're dissipating 34W from your SSR, and you keep the heatsink below 60°C, you could not be radiating more than 6W, and probably less. Let's assume 5W of radiation, so that is 5/34 = 15% of total thermal dissipation. So, 85% of the cooling has to come from convection.

If your SSR/heatsink is too hot, you would be better off adding a fan to cool it, rather than trying to improve the radiation transfer (by painting.)

A cheap and quick cosemtic fix a black Sharpie marker. Surprisingly effectiive.

Here we go again...

the fins on a heatsink are supposed to dissipate the heat into the air... when they are covered with paint (an insulator ) this makes it harder for the heat to escape the alumimum but if its anodized or special paint for heat transfer you could actually see an improvemnt because the black absobing heat better than silver.

*sigh*

In the "bickering" thread, I provide a link to a manufacturer of heat sinks that says a black heat sink is better than bare metal heat sink. They go on and say to paint it black. They use the specific verb, paint. As in paint the heatsink.

But still you know better. Paint is an insulator! Paint is an insulator! I got news for you, air is an insulator too. Do you know the heat conduction coefficient of paint compared to air? Wih any insulator, it is not just the insulation properties but the volume and/or thinkness that counts.

Is replacing a minute volume of air with a thin layer of paint going to be much different? Because that is what counts, the delta.

Did it occur to you that *maybe* the benefits of being black out weigh the cost of having coat of "insulation" aka black paint? We know the color black is a plus, how much of a minus is the coat of paint? If you got some figures, numbers, facts and/or engineering I would love to see it.

It appears to me the manufacturer of heat sinks, those that engineer, design, test, market, service and sell heat sinks and are in the business of thermal products know more on the topic than you do. That is who you are arguing with, not me.

Unless you want to play your broken record: Insulater! Insulater! Insulater!

A cheap and quick cosemtic fix a black Sharpie marker. Surprisingly effectiive.

*sigh*

In the "bickering" thread, I provide a link to a manufacturer of heat sinks that says a black heat sink is better than bare metal heat sink. They go on and say to paint it black. They use the specific verb, paint. As in paint the heatsink.

But still you know better. Paint is an insulator! Paint is an insulator! I got news for you, air is an insulator too. Do you know the heat conduction coefficient of paint compared to air? Wih any insulator, it is not just the insulation properties but the volume and/or thinkness that counts.

Is replacing a minute volume of air with a thin layer of paint going to be much different? Because that is what counts, the delta.

Did it occur to you that *maybe* the benefits of being black out weigh the cost of having coat of "insulation" aka black paint? We know the color black is a plus, how much of a minus is the coat of paint? If you got some figures, numbers, facts and/or engineering I would love to see it.

It appears to me the manufacturer of heat sinks, those that engineer, design, test, market, service and sell heat sinks and are in the business of thermal products know more on the topic than you do. That is who you are arguing with, not me.

Unless you want to play your broken record: Insulater! Insulater! Insulater!

Why are you just directing this towards me? your argument is with just about everyone else in this thread too? BTW Links dont mean much if you rearead that thread I found and linked more than one reference myself stating that either anodized or special paint was needed of it would do more harm than good... you keep ignoring this important detail for some reason. I dont wish to bicker wish you here on this thread too..

and yes air can be an insulator too... which I why I use a $3 fan on my UNPAINTED heatsinks instead of a much less effective can of paint and call it a day...

FYI, just so you guys know, I have a couple of LARGE heatsinks from some equipment from work. Both Black Anodized and bare (matte) aluminum.

I can cut custom pieces pretty easily.

Back