Orange coolers versus new pot for mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sillbeer

Reaction score
I've done a few brews with my rubbermaid coolers and for the most part they serve me well. The only complaint is I can't do 10 gallons of the high gravity stuff. I've recently been thinking about just getting another 20 gallon pot and converting it into a mash tun, specifically a recirculating mash tun. Aside from being able to do a full 10 gallon batch of the high gravity stuff is there any advantage to doing a recirculating mash versus just fly sparging? Thanks,

- Destin

With a good, non-channeled recirculating mash, one would think there's a potential advantage wrt consistency of temperature throughout the mash bed, as well as the ability to counter any temperature loss in the system.

Beyond that, most folks with good recirc experience tout wort clarity (which makes sense as they're spending the better part of an hour or more filtering the wort through the bed)...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back