Cheap or Free Hobbies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calfj60

Reaction score
So I'm stuck in an apartment for the next 6 weeks or so. All of my stuff is in storage 2000 miles away. I'm looking for something to do that's low cost but entertaining. Any advice? I like any and all beer related things, woodworking, fixing things. I just really miss hanging out in my garage and doing little projects. I'm in Omaha if that makes any difference, I've met some good guys but I need something to keep me busy.

Bird watching

Rock collecting

Leaf collecting

Yoga

Bug collecting

Knitting

Photography (with your cell phone)

Sky's the limit

Set up a bird feeder or two, they're quite interesting to watch. One with seed & maybe a hummingbird feeder. Try to get a bird to land on your finger; this takes a lot of patience & time to do, but it can be done. You can do the same sort of thing with squirrels, but peanuts/sunflower seeds might be a little more $. You can buy or make bird feeders for a couple of bucks.

Design a woodworking project you can work on later.

Write something. Start with just writing what you see, maybe add to it what you feel at the time. Do this at a park, a bar, a cafe or even a mall; you might be surprised at how entertaining this can be.

Formulate beer/wine/mead/cider recipes you can brew later. You can do the same with food.

Explore the area.

Go swimming.

Read, the library is free.

Watch Vines & epic fail videos on youtube.

Glue a quarter to the sidewalk or the floor, then watch from a distance while people try to pick it up.

Go to the grocery store & slip items into people's shopping carts while they're not looking, then watch the fun at the register.

Volunteer at a soup kitchen.

Go to the lcl animal shelter & ask to play with the dogs/cats, a lot of places will let you & have a small yard just for this purpose. You could also volunteer at an animal shelter.

Go for a walk. Sleep. Draw.

That should get you strted.
Regards, GF.

Writing, reading... I was going to say stalking, but @Billy-Klubb took that one to the next level.

So I'm stuck in an apartment for the next 6 weeks or so. All of my stuff is in storage 2000 miles away. I'm looking for something to do that's low cost but entertaining. Any advice? I like any and all beer related things, woodworking, fixing things. I just really miss hanging out in my garage and doing little projects. I'm in Omaha if that makes any difference, I've met some good guys but I need something to keep me busy.

How about making some soap?

Some oils are really expensive, but some are very cheap like Crisco and lard.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=350200

You'd need some lye, but Ace Hardware (at least here) has Rooto drain opening, and it's 100% sodium hydroxide (lye).

Our local libraries have extensive DVD sections (movies as well as TV series). Check it out and kill some time catching up on the shows you wanted to watch but didn't. The library is also a good place for people watching but you gotta be sure you don't look like a creeper.

You like wood working, so learn Sketchup. That will take a little while, but the personal version Sketchup Make is free to download and use :)

Knock some woman up, that'll keep you busy for about 18 years. ;)

You could start exercising, go jogging or join a gym. The you can get fit before you start brewing again and working on the beer gut.

Make weird "signs" and post them up all over town.

Maybe one like an ad with the number you tear off so you can call it when you get home ( ??? ) except the ad reads "IT'S RAINING MEN!" and all the 'numbers' just read "Hallelujah!"

Or find two signposts really close to one another, and put a sign on one that reads "Step two paces to the left" (or whatever gets them in front of the other sign) and have the other signpost have a sign that reads "That's better, you're perfectly in my sights now."

Little things that make life fun, that's all.

get a cooler of beer and sit in your front yard with a sign that says, "My boss pays me to poop & sleep at work. He doesn't know it though." and the next day one that reads, "Working from home today."

Latest posts

Back