St. Nick's Revenge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garmoni

Reaction score
I think I found the recipe to one of my favorite beers. Since this seems like a more advanced brew (large grain bill, high abv, etc.) I thought I would reach out to see if anyone has any tips or advice to think about before brewing it. I might scale the recipe in half so I would end up with a case or so.

When brewing a big beer like this does the process change at all?

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/182797/st-nick-s-revenge

I was wondering about the FG as well. Will the fermentation just stop around 1.039 or are you supposed to intervene and take measures to stop it?

As for the yeast starter I was thinking about making an x-mas ale ahead of this batch and then put the St Nicks on the yeast cake when it's done fermenting. Is that a good approach?

Need some more advice on this one. I brewed a 3 gallon batch of it three weeks ago. Racked it to a secondary this morning and added the spice tea. OG was 1.082 and FG was 1.014. Brewers Friend has the ABV calculated at 8.93%. I plan to let it sit in the secondary for a few weeks to make sure it's done fermenting and let the spices integrate.

I fermented this on top of the yeast bed of a Holly Ale that I made a few weeks earlier. Yeast was Safale-05. My question is, if I add sugar and bottle will I be able to get it to carbonate. I think the top end for S-05 might be 9.5%. Will I have to keg this?

Back