2015 Hop Harvest Totals

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thaymond

Reaction score
After seeing the several people already harvesting their hops this year, I figured it was time to restart the collective HBT harvest.

If you have had an early Harvest, log your total here. Judging by the 2015 Hop Garden thread, we have some early entries. 😆

Measure your Dry Yield in oz and add it to the running total. All hop varieties are accepted, just name the variety in your post. Round to the nearest tenth. If you are estimating, use a 5:1 wet to dry ratio. Let's see how much of a harvest we get this year. Last year, we topped at 952 dry oz. We should be able to blow that out of the water this year. As always pics are encouraged.

I have several burrs and many cones, but none ready to pick quite yet, so it will be a while before any harvest from me. Were starting a 0.0 oz.

0.0 oz.

Hell, I had a really early harvest, like a month ago. I've got another variety that'll be ready to pick soon.

0+5 oz cascade =

5 oz.

Hell, I had a really early harvest, like a month ago. I've got another variety that'll be ready to pick soon.

0+5 oz cascade =

5 oz.

3oz of cascade from my two first year plants with another smaller harvest coming so

5+3= 8 oz

+ 1.5 oz Nugget

= 9.5 oz

0.75 oz chinook early harvest with much more to come

10.25oz.

+ 0.85 oz centennial

= 11.1 oz

Not bad for the harvest totals through the first of August. All of mine are still forming cones. Nice work, all. Keep 'em coming!

+ 0.85 oz centennial

= 11.1 oz

11.1 + 1oz of Centennial = 12.1

Harvested 3 weeks ago. Another flush is well on its way.

010.jpg

Alright! Already over a pound! Only 58.3 more pounds to beat last year's total! When harvest time rolls around at the end of august, I am anticipating at least another 4 lbs from my plants. Time will tell. Keep up the tally!

The humidity has been epic here for the last week but the oast finally got my Centennials and the small harvest of Fuggles down to 20% of wet weight. Maybe should have run the fans at medium or even high but I tend to be gentle with the cones.

Anyway, a little over two and a half pounds of hops heading to the freezer.
2015_centennial_harvest.jpg

Really happy to note that aside from one ladybug and a daddy longlegs, there was no wildlife in the mix. Not a single aphid to be seen!

So...

18.85 + 39.5 + 3.5 -> 61.85

Cheers! :mug:

I was about to post a question about full cones and small burrs on the same plant when I came across your post. Do I wait for all the burrs to mature to cones even though some of the cones look like they are getting ready for harvest? I don't recall this situation in past years.

I may have an unfair advantage being in a greenhouse using hydroponics, but we have already harvested 300lbs of Wet Hops!!
11822659_939333186127234_9210464215942857707_n.jpg

Neo-1: 3.5 oz (17 oz wet, 1 plant), with at least one more harvest in the next couple weeks.

Sterling: 2.1 oz (9.25 oz wet, 2 plants), with 1-2 more harvests later this week.

Already have my brews planned for them - Neo-1 IPA, Sterling Patersbier/Enkel

We have used it all as wet so wet so we haven't dried any yet this season, but roughly 4 times water weight...so (300/4=75) 75lbs.

71.95 + 1200 =1271.95

Harvest season hasn't even gotten into full swing yet! Keep 'em coming!

This isn't my thread, but including commercial growers is certainly going to skew the year-to-year counts.

And properly dried hops are usually 1/5th their wet weight...

Cheers!

This isn't my thread, but including commercial growers is certainly going to skew the year-to-year counts.

Cheers!

You're right day_trippr. I also said that above about a 5:1 ratio for estimating.

So 71.95 😃

Cheers!

I agree. I won't be sad if you don't include my totals... I just wanted to share :) Our hops are unique in every way, and we always get water as being 4:1 the weight. But again we don't grow hops like anybody else in the world...so there will be some differences. :)
89b1122a1808ba43a47c6d988cb78b63

I agree. I won't be sad if you don't include my totals... I just wanted to share :) Our hops are unique in every way, and we always get water as being 4:1 the weight. But again we don't grow hops like anybody else in the world...so there will be some differences. :)
89b1122a1808ba43a47c6d988cb78b63

Those are just some big beautiful amazing looking cones. Nice work.

I wont count this in the totals since i guess we'd be considered commercial, but we took 8lbs dried of chinook this past weekend.

This isnt the full bounty, just a sample!

IMG_0094.jpg

Adding another 4.5 oz of Sterling, with another Neo-1 harvest coming soon!

+4.5

=78.8 oz

I know it's still fairly early in the season, but I feel like combined we should definitely have more than 5 pounds of hops...

I know it's still fairly early in the season, but I feel like combined we should definitely have more than 5 pounds of hops...

I'm harvesting tomorrow. All signs point to ready. I'm shooting for about 10 lbs wet tomorrow. We will see.

[...]I know it's still fairly early in the season, but I feel like combined we should definitely have more than 5 pounds of hops...

Remain Calm, it's still early for many regions and strains.

fwiw, I just got back from a week in Austin about 20 minutes ago, stepped out on the deck for a smoke, and there are great gobs o' hops on both the Chinook and Cascades.

I 'spect to contribute another 7-8 dry pounds to the cause when they're ready (and even in the dark I can tell they're not ready yet)...

Cheers!

First year Chinook gave me 2.5 oz and 6 more varieties to come!

+2.5 oz Chinook

= 84.7 oz

I'm harvesting tomorrow. All signs point to ready. I'm shooting for about 10 lbs wet tomorrow. We will see.

Wow! How many plants do you have going?

Remain Calm, it's still early for many regions and strains.

fwiw, I just got back from a week in Austin about 20 minutes ago, stepped out on the deck for a smoke, and there are great gobs o' hops on both the Chinook and Cascades.

I 'spect to contribute another 7-8 dry pounds to the cause when they're ready (and even in the dark I can tell they're not ready yet)...

Cheers!

How do you all go through that many hops?!?! I have 4.5 oz of Sterling and I'm struggling to think what I'm gonna do with it.

And I know it's early, even though my plants are already starting to turn brown. I also expect our (tree) leaves to start changing any day now.

[...]How do you all go through that many hops?!?! I have 4.5 oz of Sterling and I'm struggling to think what I'm gonna do with it.
[...]

In truth, even though I brew to the two-fer legal limit, I use lots of "store-bought" strains (that I don't grow), thus I don't use all of the hops I do grow, and once the new harvest is in I end up giving a bunch away.

That's actually A Good Thing...

Cheers!

Wow! How many plants do you have going?

I have 4 plants. Those 10 lbs are from 2 plants. It will end up with roughly a pound per plant in dried hops. I have 2 plants left, and they were my ringers last season, both with at least a pound. Zeus nearly two...

Back