Homebrew vs. Commercial heartburn

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcorn

Reaction score
As I age more, I find myself in more dire need of my Prilosec (I am 27). We just spent the week in Panama City Beach, FL. I was sadly away from my homebrew and noticed alot of negative things to my body this week. We drank mostly Yuengling and Miller Lite. Did not overdo it by any means but drank alot more of it than I normally drink of my own homebrew at home.

I took my Prilosec every morning and night. Woke up with HORRIBLE acid throughout the night in the middle of week.

Does it seem to anyone else that filtered rice beer gives them bad acid reflux? I had this discussion with alot of friends with us. They think I am crazy, but I swear by the fact that unfiltered homebrew or commercial beer in general is so much better on my acid reflux. Light rice beer in general has always been horrible on my heartburn.

Time to see a doctor. Could be congenital causing acid reflux. You also drank a lot more and most likely ate different food. All of this could lead to a bad morning.

Yeah I figured it was probably the fried fish and beers. Had about 7 Yuenglings throughout that morning and night. I have already had my throat stretched and a throat scope at my ENT. Just figured I would see how everyone does on homebrew compared to light beers.

Fatty food destroys me, Never beer. 1 cheese burger or cookie and I'm in for it :( never had a problem drinking light beer , but when I do it's usually because I went to a cookout and ate like crap.

Only 2 types of beer have given me heartburn:

-A Russian Imperial Stout that was brewed with ghost chilies.
-Really, really acidic sours.

Other than that, I'm pretty good. Macro lagers don't give me heartburn, but I get headaches from them much quicker than anything else.

A good of portion of what happened was probably due to the fried food, or the spices your body wasn't accustomed to eating. I too take Prilosec to keep my heartburn in check, but when I forget to take it a "Tums" type antacid (or two) usually helps greatly.

I'll have a couple of beers, a bloody Mary, or two, and then cook supper. After supper I need chocolate. About four hours later some antacids for minor burn.

Haha it's funny reading all of these comments because I ate most of what gives all of you horrible heartburn. Here was my eating for that day. Keep in mind I am a heavy eater lol. I had Cajun boiled peanuts on the fishing boat that afternoon, 6 ginger snap cookies, chips and queso, tons of fresh fried fish (from our fishing trip that morning) and hushpuppies, scallops etc.

honestly this could be indicative of more serious health problems or just a very sedentary life style.

I had Cajun boiled peanuts on the fishing boat that afternoon, 6 ginger snap cookies, chips and queso, tons of fresh fried fish (from our fishing trip that morning) and hushpuppies, scallops etc.

Now I have heartburn just from reading that.
:D

Wow, I am beginning to see that it may well just be what I ate or a little more serious health issue. I have a very active lifestyle which might be what saves my heartburn from the 2 daily beers that I do have. I woke up with my throat and mouth completely on fire. Took 4 Prilosec and 8 tums!! That was the first time I had ever tried boiled peanuts too. Definitely disgusting by the way...

I had surgery to remove my gall bladder the second time I up-chucked green bile. Just getting bile in the esophagus can cause serious problems.

There is a Red wine from a local winery that have given me reflux almost immediately both times I drank it. Not sure why, because I love red wine and never get reflux. I avoid it like the plague

PSA: Raw almonds work wonders for me (and others, but not everyone). Just a handful after fried or spicy foods is all it takes. I used to buy acid blockers 1200 pills at a time (seriously), but haven't needed a single one in the two years I've been munching on raw almonds. Roasted don't work for me, they need to be raw.

No affiliation with the Almond Board of California

I just don't understand people that take stuff for heartburn all the time. Why not change your died? Don't eat what gives you heartburn! I'm 72 and I've never had heartburn. Had a few upset stomachs over theyears. Of course as stated above you could have some serious problem so do see your Dr. At age 27 you haven't' begone to AGE YET. LOL.

I just don't understand people that take stuff for heartburn all the time. Why not change your died? Don't eat what gives you heartburn! I'm 72 and I've never had heartburn. Had a few upset stomachs over theyears. Of course as stated above you could have some serious problem so do see your Dr. At age 27 you haven't' begone to AGE YET. LOL.

I like peanuts on my ice cream. I'm not about to give that up, might as well just shoot me :)

A tums or two isn't a big deal. It's nothing more than calcium carbonate and some sweet cherry flavor. My dog ate a whole bottle of it a few months ago with no effect (I would not recommend this, but those are the facts).

I'm a GI nurse. Some alcohols are worse than others, but that has more to do with acidity. ETOH of any kind allows the sphincter that closes of your stomach from your esophagus to open which allows acid reflux. If you have a hiatal hernia that will only exacerbate the issue.

How are you taking your Prilosec/omeprazole? Many people do not take it correctly. The morning dose must be taken 30-60 minutes before breakfast with a sip of water. This is very important. The evening dose needs to be taken 30-60 mins before supper but 2 hours after your last food intake. In the GI lab, if you are taking Prilosec regularly, and you have never been scoped, you should consult your physician to see if a scope is necessary.

Acid reflux, besides being uncomfortable, can turn into cancer (I have seen it several times and it is heartbreaking). If you are taking Prilosec correctly, and you are already taking it twice a day, and still having break through reflux you need to see your physician. Prilosec and similar PPI's are great medications and with a vast majority of the population, control reflux effectively.

Diet can help; however, there are many other factors that go into reflux. Count yourself lucky that a simple diet change worked for you.

Wow, I am beginning to see that it may well just be what I ate or a little more serious health issue. I have a very active lifestyle which might be what saves my heartburn from the 2 daily beers that I do have. I woke up with my throat and mouth completely on fire. Took 4 Prilosec and 8 tums!! That was the first time I had ever tried boiled peanuts too. Definitely disgusting by the way...

To get the full effect from Prilosec, you really have to take it in the morning as I said in my previous post. If you're symptoms are infrequent and you don't like taking Prilosec daily talk to your Doctor about Dexilant (similar to omeprazole but it is a little more forgiving if you take it after you eat) or possibly an H2 blocker like ranitadine. You need to find a medication that fits your lifestyle and eating habits. I hope you can find some relief, reflux is miserable.

PSA: Raw almonds work wonders for me (and others, but not everyone). Just a handful after fried or spicy foods is all it takes. I used to buy acid blockers 1200 pills at a time (seriously), but haven't needed a single one in the two years I've been munching on raw almonds. Roasted don't work for me, they need to be raw.

No affiliation with the Almond Board of California

That sounds awesome! I will try it for sure.

I'm a GI nurse. Some alcohols are worse than others, but that has more to do with acidity. ETOH of any kind allows the sphincter that closes of your stomach from your esophagus to open which allows acid reflux. If you have a hiatal hernia that will only exacerbate the issue.

How are you taking your Prilosec/omeprazole? Many people do not take it correctly. The morning dose must be taken 30-60 minutes before breakfast with a sip of water. This is very important. The evening dose needs to be taken 30-60 mins before supper but 2 hours after your last food intake. In the GI lab, if you are taking Prilosec regularly, and you have never been scoped, you should consult your physician to see if a scope is necessary.

Acid reflux, besides being uncomfortable, can turn into cancer (I have seen it several times and it is heartbreaking). If you are taking Prilosec correctly, and you are already taking it twice a day, and still having break through reflux you need to see your physician. Prilosec and similar PPI's are great medications and with a vast majority of the population, control reflux effectively.

Well, unfortunately my schedule is incredibly hectic since I work 12 hour night shift. I work 2 nights, off 2 days. The 2 days I am off I only eat one time around 6 pm. I am usually very good at taking my omeprazole directly before eating. The nights I work I typically take it before eating as well. But I do eat throughout the night at work. I do need to work on taking water down with it. It is normally diet pepsi or whatever is around me at the time. I take 2 omeprazole a day/ once a day. It may be better for me to begin to take 1 pill/twice a day instead of all at once. Most days I never have any heartburn issues. The trip I took last week was the only bad times I have had recently. I definitely blame myself for scarfing delicious fried seafood down all week long haha.

Just to emphasize on my condition, I very rarely have heartburn since I started taking omeprazole years ago. I was diagnosed with GERD and had scopes ran/ throat expanded. The reason I actually had the problems last week was because my diet was way out of wack due to eating crazy stuff on vacation. I started this post just to see if others noticed any difference in heartburn with rice beers instead of unfiltered. I pretty much never get heartburn unless I drink a good amount of rice beer or eat extremely fatty foods/ or lots of acidic fruit. I do appreciate the heads up from everyone though!

I haven't heard of rice causing heartburn. Beer can, but for me it's when I overeat, or eat too late, and sometimes with hoppy beers added to the mix.

Several things can cause heartburn, as you are probably aware with your diagnosis. I have found that previously I needed a regular dose of RX meds, but stress, anxiety, diet, sleep, exercise, all combined against me. Stress was probably the #1 cause back then. Improving the other things improves my stress and lowered my need.

Now I take Tums once in awhile and a Pepcid before or after eating the wrong things, or eating too late at night.

I never get heartburn. I love spicy foods, citrus, tomatoes, etc... but, I got heartburn from an imperial IPA I brewed for the first time ever. I have no idea what the difference is between this beer and the 50 others I've brewed but it gives me heartburn. Eating before I drink it helps but I can still feel it a little bit after I have a beer. I've never used the king of yeast I fermented it with so maybe it's that.

It may be better for me to begin to take 1 pill/twice a day instead of all at once.

It's been awhile since I looked at it; however, I believe there is a study that proves this, especially if you have reflux in the evening/night time.

In my personal case, beer never gives me heartburn, regardless of amount or style. I do get heartburn from greasy food, fried food, and most kinds of pork (bacon, Italian sausage, etc.), among a few other foods. I don't think there are any drinks that give me heartburn, though. Especially not beer.

You mentioned that you ate a bunch of greasy foods like fish and chips. Both french fries and fried fish give me heartburn (I still eat them. I just use antacids). I would personally guess that it's more likely the greasy food that gave you the heartburn than the beer.

I notice a difference between what I brew versus commercial beers. I used to love yuengling, but now it does bother me some. I never messed with the buds/ Coors and millers of the world as they leave as fast as they come. Those are drink one piss one beers to me.

I trybto drink 1/2 my body weight in ounces of water per day. If i drink alcohol or soda I have to add as much water back in. Never get heart burn anymore.

I've had terrible heartburn since I was a kid, and been on Prilosec daily since I was 16. If I forget a dose, my body quickly reminds me within a few hours.

I've never noticed any difference between homebrew and macrobrew in terms of heartburn level. I too think it's more to do with your diet/drinking level change during your trip than filtered vs unfiltered beer.

I never get heartburn, and I sh*t you not, I got heartburn last night after flipping through some responses....

I hate this thread

I never get heartburn, and I sh*t you not, I got heartburn last night after flipping through some responses....

I hate this thread

Well... I have full blown GERDS. Barretts esophagus, Hiatal hernia and have to have an upper endoscopy every two years.
To me it's not really heartburn, (Tums are ZERO help). it's more like battery acid coming up from the stomach. (thank God for Omeprazole).

I don't hate this thread!

Well... I have full blown GERDS. Barretts esophagus, Hiatal hernia and have to have an upper endoscopy every two years.
To me it's not really heartburn, (Tums are ZERO help). it's more like battery acid coming up from the stomach. (thank God for Omeprazole).

I don't hate this thread!

Sorry to hear about the Barretts. Keep an eye on that (hence the upper endo). I wrote a manuscript on esophageal pathologies a few years back and Barretts is no joke.

Back