Cooling 2.5" Draft Tower

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigTerp

Reaction score
Planning to add a second faucet to my 2.5" draft tower and thinking of how to keep the lines cool. Deciding between a fan with hose running into the tower or running my beer lines through a copper pipe. Any experience with one being better than the other? My only concern is room in the 2.5" tower for a hose. It will be pretty crammed in there with an addition tap and I'm afraid that adding an air hose won't allow the air in the tower to circulate back into the fridge. If I were to go the copper pipe route, how would I attach it to keep it from falling down into the fridge? Thoughts?

It's all about mass. The mass in the cool area has to out weigh the mass in the 'warm' tower. Sounds obvious, I know...but it's thermodynamics!

Also, lots of insulation for the tower.

I've had no problems with this setup, even in warm temps.

Nice!!

What size tower do you have? What size copper tube did you use? Could you fit 2 - 3/16" beer lines in there? How do you keep it from falling into your fridge?

Nice!!

What size tower do you have? What size copper tube did you use? Could you fit 2 - 3/16" beer lines in there? How do you keep it from falling into your fridge?

It's resting on the compressor hump....................:D

Edit: And the wedged in insulation helps keep it place.

Yeah, there's enough friction in the tower to keep it in place. It also sits flush with the hump too. Out of the way of everything. Copper ain't cheap though!

Thanks!!

I made something pretty much just like what is pictured. Was going to sweat the fittings in place, but the friction of the fridge/tower keeps everything nice and snug. Plus, when I need to remove it, it'll be easier to remove since it is just friction fitted.

IMG_20150726_161653_zps9cthvgzv.jpg

IMG_20150726_153003_zps0f71kjfz.jpg

Also ran a power cord (old cell phone charger) for my 80mm computer fan that I'm waiting to come in. Ran the cord through the drain hole.
IMG_20150726_161452_zpska3capgr.jpg

Just need to get the rest of my components ordered this week and wait for my Sierra Nevada clone to finish naturally carbing in the kegs and I should be good to go. STOKED!!!! :mug:

great job!

Thanks man!! Was pretty simple actually. Thanks for the pictures. Made sense once I saw how you worked yours out.

My tower has some foam insulation in it now. There will be room for more once I get everything setup and installed. Should I add to the stock foam insulation that's in there now? Or replace it with something better? If so, what should I use?

Thanks man!! Was pretty simple actually. Thanks for the pictures. Made sense once I saw how you worked yours out.

My tower has some foam insulation in it now. There will be room for more once I get everything setup and installed. Should I add to the stock foam insulation that's in there now? Or replace it with something better? If so, what should I use?

I completely ditched the black foam that came with the tower. I just happen to have some left over roofing insulation that I could cut to size. I remember you saying you were doing a 2 tap setup? You might have a little less space to fill.

But I'm pretty sure the more insulation the better. Plus don't allow the copper to contact the tower itself in any way! It will undo all the good work you're trying to achieve but creating a heatsink outside.

Gotcha. Thanks!!

Yes, 2 tap setup in that tiny 2.5" tower. Right now the copper comes up to right underneath the barb on the stock shank. I ordered new shanks so hopefully they are not any longer. I have a spare 2.5" tower that I've been drilling holes in to find the best way to add a second faucet. I think I have it figured out. I'm heading to Lowe's after work to pick up a 7/8" bi-metal hole saw to make my final hole for the second faucet. I'll see if they have some good insulation I can pick up for the tower.

I took a 4" foam roller last night and bored out the middle to 2.5" using the tower itself. I had to shave it down a bit to make it fit easier into the tower. It now takes up all the empty space in the tower and fits pretty snug. I then took a piece of my 3/4" copper pipe and bored a hole out of the 2.5" piece of foam roller so the copper pipe fits in the middle of the foam within the tower. Everything fits nice and snug and once I get my new faucets and shanks in I'll trim it up neatly to fit up against the shanks. I'm thinking it will work really well. Forgot to get pictures. I'll try to remember to grab some this evening.

Back