2 row vs 6 row

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tblume

Reaction score
I just finished brewing my first all grain recipe that was not a kit. Amazing fun! The recipe that I used as a guide called for 2 row and I could only find 6 row. Will there be a difference? Should I have treated the grain differently? Thank you for the guidance.

2 row generally has better flavor (although I still find it bland, I prefer to use European base malts). 6 row is incredibly enzymatic but is probably the worst flavorwise from a base malt perspective. You also get less yield from 6 row. I use 6-row when brewing high-adjunct grain bills, but I don't use it otherwise. You don't need to anything different, but your OG might be a bit lower, and the malt character may seem a little simpler and grainier.

I just finished brewing my first all grain recipe that was not a kit. Amazing fun! The recipe that I used as a guide called for 2 row and I could only find 6 row. Will there be a difference? Should I have treated the grain differently? Thank you for the guidance.

Why couldn't you find 2 Row it is the Standard that almost everybody uses?:confused:

6 row is a good base malt. This difference between 2 row and 6 row is subtle. I have sought out 6 row to make a more authentic cream ale but I didn't notice a difference. So now I use 2 row because it is more commonly available.

The local place I found grain only had 6 row. I live in the UP and there aren't many places to find brewing items. It was a spur of the moment idea, so I went with what I found. I will likely try and order some 2 row and see what differences I find.

Back