Temp controller help - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Temp controller help

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2008, 01:31 PM   #1
Aleforge
Recipes 
 
May 2007
Wentzville, Missouri
Posts: 1,232
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts



I know about the ranco's but I am looking for a temp controller that I can "plug" the appliance into and then into the wall. This way I can bypass doing any wiring myself and get it going instantly. One problem as outside of the ranco I wasn't sure if anyone could reccomend a no-wire model? I need to pick one up this week and would love some suggestions!

Thanks a bunch!

-Mark

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 01:56 PM   #2
The Pol
Recipes 
 
Feb 2007
Posts: 11,454
Liked 96 Times on 81 Posts


Johnson Controls... they have them at morebeer, northern brewer, etc

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 02:06 PM   #3
lustreking
Recipes 
 
Aug 2006
Bethlehem, PA
Posts: 777
Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Taipans
I know about the ranco's but I am looking for a temp controller that I can "plug" the appliance into and then into the wall. This way I can bypass doing any wiring myself and get it going instantly. One problem as outside of the ranco I wasn't sure if anyone could reccomend a no-wire model? I need to pick one up this week and would love some suggestions!

Thanks a bunch!

-Mark
It really isn't too much work to wire up the Johnson Controls temp controllers, and if you do it yourself, you can save a ton of money (without even having to switch your car insurance). I got my Johnson A-19 controller from ebay for $16 shipped.

Here are easy instructions on how to wire it:

http://brewing.lustreking.com/gear/j...ontroller.html
__________________
My brewing site:
http://brewing.lustreking.com

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 03:12 PM   #4
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
 
Bobby_M's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2006
Whitehouse Station, NJ
Posts: 23,200
Liked 1657 Times on 1071 Posts


I agree. It's easy. In fact, if you're reluctant to wire this thing, I recommend not buying a house or you'll be a$$ raped anytime you want to change a light switch out.
__________________
Welcome to BrewHardware.com. I love you.
BIAB Large Mesh False Bottoms and SS HERMS COILS are IN!!
Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 04:06 PM   #5
Aleforge
Recipes 
 
May 2007
Wentzville, Missouri
Posts: 1,232
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


I can't find one on ebay but thanks for the guide link. For some reason I thought you had to hard wire the controller into the deep freezer itself!

-Mark

Oh btw, where does the freezer plug into that controller? The extension cord mod? and if so how does outside power come in I dont see a second plug.


 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 04:23 PM   #6
Chello
Recipes 
 
Nov 2007
Atlanta, GA
Posts: 867
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by lustreking
It really isn't too much work to wire up the Johnson Controls temp controllers, and if you do it yourself, you can save a ton of money (without even having to switch your car insurance). I got my Johnson A-19 controller from ebay for $16 shipped.

Here are easy instructions on how to wire it:

http://brewing.lustreking.com/gear/j...ontroller.html
I don't know much about electrical stuff and i wired up a Johnson a19 as well following your instructions. I have yet to actually get a chance to use it as my keezer is waiting for someone with a truck to move it to my apartment...

But i had a question about the wiring. Does it matter which end you wire to which screw? i.e. does the pronged end of the extension cord need to be wired to the top screw or bottom screw? or does it not matter?

Thanks
__________________
"Retail is for suckers."

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 04:30 PM   #7
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
 
Bobby_M's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2006
Whitehouse Station, NJ
Posts: 23,200
Liked 1657 Times on 1071 Posts


It doesn't matter. The controller just connects or disconnect the two terminals depending on the temp. Think of it as holding both wires in your hands and touching the bare ends together when you want the fridge to come on.
__________________
Welcome to BrewHardware.com. I love you.
BIAB Large Mesh False Bottoms and SS HERMS COILS are IN!!
Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 04:33 PM   #8
lustreking
Recipes 
 
Aug 2006
Bethlehem, PA
Posts: 777
Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Chello
I don't know much about electrical stuff and i wired up a Johnson a19 as well following your instructions. I have yet to actually get a chance to use it as my keezer is waiting for someone with a truck to move it to my apartment...

But i had a question about the wiring. Does it matter which end you wire to which screw? i.e. does the pronged end of the extension cord need to be wired to the top screw or bottom screw? or does it not matter?

Thanks
Glad I could help!

I doesn't matter how you wire an SPST switch, which the A19ABA-40C has, so you should be good to go when your freezer arrives.

If you want to play with it before then, plug a lamp into it and see how it turns on and off when you adjust the temperature setting.
__________________
My brewing site:
http://brewing.lustreking.com

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 04:59 PM   #9
Chello
Recipes 
 
Nov 2007
Atlanta, GA
Posts: 867
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts


Nice! i just did play with it on a lamp but i think i may have gotten one that wont work for a freezer...

I got the a19-AAA which according to the post on here somewhere the AAA seemed like it should work.

So when i just had it in the lamp, the lap would turn ON when i adjusted the temp lower than 70 degrees and OFF when higher. Does that mean that my freezer will stay on when the temperature is colder and off when its hotter, which is opposite of what i want?

Or does a freezer work differently than the lamp did?
__________________
"Retail is for suckers."

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 05:23 PM   #10
lustreking
Recipes 
 
Aug 2006
Bethlehem, PA
Posts: 777
Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts


If you ambient temp is 70 degrees, it should be operating correctly. If the sensor is measuring 70 degrees and it is set to 40 degrees the lamp (freezer) should turn on to cool it off. If you set it for 80 degrees, the lamp (freezer) should turn off, because the sensor is alread below 80 degrees.

I think you should be good to go when you get your freezer!
__________________
My brewing site:
http://brewing.lustreking.com

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Temp Controller skeeordye11 Bottling/Kegging 3 09-10-2010 02:06 PM
DIY Temp Controller wlampe Fermenters 1 09-13-2009 11:12 PM
Anyone try this temp controller? thelorax121 Equipment/Sanitation 3 07-11-2009 02:02 AM
Attic Fan Temp Controller = Inexpensive Fermentation Controller???? Beernip General Techniques 5 06-16-2009 04:30 PM
temp. controller ???? fshnne1 Bottling/Kegging 11 01-27-2009 05:12 PM


Forum Jump