Munich Helles Simple as Helles (AG)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerrific

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP830
Yeast Starter
YES
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
3.4 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
25 days 50F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
42 days 32F
Picture7.png

Mash at 150F. Pitch and ferment at 50F. A diacetyl rest should not be necessary, but check it after 7 days to be sure.

Produces a really great light lager. I have only compared this to one commercial example (Weinstephaner Original) and I think it is good if not better. Let it lager long and cold and it will drop brillantly clear. I will post a picture next time I pour a pint.

This is about as simple of a lager you can make. I dare any BMC or craft beer lover to say this is not a great beer.

that looks really good im going to make a helles next so this post is interesting. i was thinking of aiming for your gravities, IBUs and volumes but using UK lager malt, munich and carapils. then your hop schedule and wyeast munich lager malt. sound ok?

did you bottle? if so was there enough yeast in suspension for carbonation or did you have to add some?

peterfuse said:
that looks really good im going to make a helles next so this post is interesting. i was thinking of aiming for your gravities, IBUs and volumes but using UK lager malt, munich and carapils. then your hop schedule and wyeast munich lager malt. sound ok?

did you bottle? if so was there enough yeast in suspension for carbonation or did you have to add some?

I have never used lager malt and don't know much about it. But, I think the pilsner malt flavor plays a huge role in this beer. You might get the same flavor from the lager malt, but I am not sure.

I think that yeast would work very well, make a big starter.

I kegged. You might have enough yeast depending on how long/cold you lager.

well i believe this lager malt is a british attempt at continental pilsner malt its just more highly modified. ive used it before in a hefe and it worked well.

Brewed this yesterday. Mashed at 151 and overshot the target gravity using this exact 5 gallon recipe, I ended up with 5 gallons of 1.06x wort that I diluted down to 5.5 gallons @ 1.061! I've never had efficiency that good before; I'm sure it'll be fine.

Made a 2L starter of WLP830 on a stirplate and cold crashed it for 24 hrs before pitching. Sitting at 65 F right now (8 hrs), will move to 53 F when it gets churning.

Tapped this a few days ago. I should have made a bigger starter; it took almost 6 weeks to hit terminal gravity in the primary, the last 6-8 gravity points at 65 F to hurry it along. Went from 1.061 to 1.011. Lagered for 7 weeks at 39 F, then 2 more at 34 F.

Not a whole lot going on in the aroma department, slightly malty, no hops or esters. The taste is some sweet malt up front, very light, balanced bitterness that it is a nice complement to the malt, and an extremely clean finish. Not terribly complex, but that's not what it meant to be. Very nice looking beer that forms a bright white head which dissipates to a thin, splotchy layer as it warms. I have BMC drinkers try it and say "I didn't know what good beer tasted like until I tried this," so I'd say it's winner.

Back