Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Improved boiling on the stovetop!

Old 04-08-2011, 02:00 AM   #111
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 436 Times on 356 Posts
Likes Given: 63

I had no problems with using the automotive firewall insulation wrapped around my BK on the stovetop. I was able to bring 7 gallons to a nice rapid boil using that, which was the absolute most that would fit in that BK.

Old 04-08-2011, 04:47 AM   #112
maztec
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I moved, gave up on doing it on the stove top, and went all electric.

Honestly, buying a larger kettle, poking a hole in it, and installing an electric element is easier (and cooler!).

Old 07-11-2011, 07:10 PM   #113
tryn2brew
On the road again
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

This stuff looks like it would work great, but it is expensive. 5 ft x 5 ft sheet is about $250 + shipping. Does not absorb liquid, and good up to 1200 def F.
["Pyrogel XTF"]http://www.aerogel.com/products/pdf/Pyrogel_XTF_DS.pdf[/URL]

I'd only need 1 ft x 4 ft for my pot, and a couple of straps to hold it in place. The edges could be covered with AL tape if deemed necessary. Looks like it would work to me....

Old 07-25-2011, 12:43 AM   #114
HomebrewMTB
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Just wanted to report successful full boil stovetop brew on Friday. I just got a 32qt aluminum pot a few weeks ago and was able to get it to boil with the lid on but it took more than an hour from hot tap water and wouldn't boil without the lid. I was concerned about it but forgot to pick up some insulation material. I wanted to brew right away so I thought I would try out the aluminum foil idea. I was unsure about the effectiveness of alum foil wrapped on an alum pot but it worked out well. Three wraps of foil and I was able to boil 7 gallons without the lid. The foil looked ghetto as anything but was effective.

I'll probably end up building a heat stick anyway because I want to reduce my brew time but the tin foil tricked worked well in the mean time.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:32 PM   #115
Royski
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I just ordered some of this foil-covered insulation from Home Despot - $27 shipped for plenty of material to cover my two eight-gallon kettles. Looking at the part number and picture, it is the same as the Bonded Logic insulation mentioned above, sold at a higher price at JC Whitney and billed as "the same technology developed by NASA to protect its spacecraft."

Old 11-11-2011, 02:20 PM   #116
Royski
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The insulation arrived from Home Despot: it seems to be cotton-backed foil, not any magical NASA stuff. I'll probably try it anyway on my gas stove next time I brew. I think if I start it a couple of inches from the bottom of the pot and protect the edge with foil tape, it should be OK barring a sustained boil-over and flareup.

Old 11-20-2011, 05:39 PM   #117
Royski
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Here is a closeup of it installed with foil tape

At first the foil tape at the bottom started to cook and stink so I made the insulation end a little higher up. Working nicely like this

It sped up the time to boil a little bit. It definitely requires a lot less heat to keep the boil going.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:45 AM   #118
azoteman213
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royski View Post
The insulation arrived from Home Despot: it seems to be cotton-backed foil, not any magical NASA stuff. I'll probably try it anyway on my gas stove next time I brew. I think if I start it a couple of inches from the bottom of the pot and protect the edge with foil tape, it should be OK barring a sustained boil-over and flareup.
Of course! Cotton wrapped with aluminum foil! I have been reading this thread for almost an hour and I had totally forgot about this. I used aluminum foil and cotton to wrap my distillation columns in chemistry lab (the real insulator was the cotton, I just used the aluminum foil to hold it in place). I will try this cotton/aluminum foil on my next brew. I do not perform full volume boils yet, but any help getting my wort to boil is appreciated!

Old 11-23-2011, 11:05 AM   #119
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I used the automotive firewall insulation purchased from JC Whitney to insulate my 30qt. Proctor-Silex SS pot. Absolutely solved my boil problem on my propane gas cooktop. Whitney also sells the temperature-resistant adhesive and foil tape for applying this stuff. My total cost (which includes WAY more insulation than the pot needs, probably enough for 3-4 pots) was about $45 delivered.

The gas flame doesn't bother this application at all, and I've been using it for 3 years, the last 2.5 doing AG out in the garage over a Bayou Classic SP-10 propane burner, which puts out FAR more heat than the kitchen cooktop.

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 11-23-2011, 11:49 AM   #120
Calichusetts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 408 Times on 245 Posts
Likes Given: 965

Great solution...I'm sure this opens up a lot of avenues for many brewers on this site