Using a hop spider, pull boil hops before hopstand addition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olotti

Reaction score
Anyone that uses a hop spider and do hop stands I'm wondering do u empty the spider at flameout, wait for the wort to reach hopstand temps, then reinsert the spider and add the hopstand hops. or is it proper practice to leave the boil hop additions in the spider while doing the hopstand.

I use a bag, but I do clean out the boil hops prior to hopstand.

Yeah me to I use the homemade version with the paint strainer bag. At first I was keeping all the hops in but the last couple batches I thought hmm maybe I should pull the boil hops to not muddle the hopstand hops so I've been pulling the spider at fo and dumping the boil hops. Then I just thought well maybe it's not bad to leave all the hops in as the big boys whirlpool they're not pulling the boil hops they're just adding the whirlpool hops and recirculating so idk if you'd get more flavor from having all the hops in the bag plus the whirlpool addition or will it not matter. Just curious as to what others methods are.

Ive always kept my my boil additions in with the hopstand in my spider, but I may reconsider. I have a SS spider from Utahbio, and on my last brew, a Pliny clone, I noticed my spider was pretty "chunky" during the whirlpool (I even used hop extract for the 90 and 45 min), so I may try dumping the next time I whirlpool.

I will say, though, my Johnny Utah DIPA, I used a lot of hops and did a 45 min stand with a significant amount of hops, and didnt experience this. The beer turned out awesome, and friends raved about it. It was all Simcoe/Amarillo, so what hophead wouldnt like that combo?!:rockin:

FWIW, as an experiment for the last couple batches I've been putting the boil hops in a separate bag and just clip it to one of the arms on the spider. The spider is used for all other additions and I pull the boil hops bag at the end of the boil. Haven't tasted the results yet...

Latest posts

Back