1st All Grain BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rich5665

Reaction score
This past Saturday, I brewed my first All Grain BIAB. I kept the batch small for my Mr. Beer LBK. I wound up brewing a Northern English Brown Ale based on a recipe from my LHBS. I need to get one more outdoor burner so I can start doing larger batches. I currently have two 30 qt aluminum pots that I found in a thrift store, one Grill Smith Outdoor Burner, a 5 gallon bucket and two 5 gallon carboys for fermenting. I'm planning an all grain Blueberry Blonde Ale for my next batch, I'm hoping to get it as close to the Saranac Blueberry Blonde Ale Draft sold at my favorite pub.

Why do you need another burner for larger batches? Seems to me you need a larger kettle?
Just curious.

I have two pots, one mash tun and 1 burner. If I decide to use the mash tun, I'll need a second burner to heat my spare water.

I have two pots, one mash tun and 1 burner. If I decide to use the mash tun, I'll need a second burner to heat my spare water.

Get a $14 heat stick to heat sparge water while mashing in other pot.

or

1) fiil each pot with mash or sparge water
2) heat mash water
3) add bag and grains to mash water and make sure temps are good, add heat if necessary.
4) Once at mash temp, remove mash kettle from burner and wrap with blanket or other insulating material
5) put sparge water on burner and heat to sparge temp while mashing in other kettle off-heat
6) after 1 hour (or whatever mash duration you choose) remove sparge pot from burner, pull bag from mash pot (squeeze if desired) and place bag in sparge pot for dunk sparge.
7) return mash pot to burner... it's now your brew kettle. Begin heating
8) after dunk sparge add "2nd runnings" from sparge pot to brew kettle.

Or

Cold sparge....

Many options. I still recommend a larger kettle :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a $14 heat stick to heat sparge water while mashing in other pot.

or

1) fiil each pot with mash or sparge water
2) heat mash water
3) add bag and grains to mash water and make sure temps are good, add heat if necessary.
4) Once at mash temp, remove mash kettle from burner and wrap with blanket or other insulating material
5) put sparge water on burner and heat to sparge temp while mashing in other kettle off-heat
6) after 1 hour (or whatever mash duration you choose) remove sparge pot from burner, pull bag from mash pot (squeeze if desired) and place bag in sparge pot for dunk sparge.
7) return mash pot to burner... it's now your brew kettle. Begin heating
8) after dunk sparge add "2nd runnings" from sparge pot to brew kettle.

Or

Cold sparge....

Many options. I still recommend a larger kettle :D

Funny you should mention the heat stick. I was looking at this Electric Burner at Walmart. It's on sale in the store for $10

Last edited by a moderator:
Back