Mash tun size for partial mashes??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mindless2

Reaction score
Hey all,
So I was just given a 6.5 gallon gatorade water cooler.
I was previously doing biab.
I'm just wondering....
If I convert this cooler.
Would it suffice for doing most partial mashes???

it will do full mashes up to a point, then any partial mash past that point

think of it this way, you're NOT doing a "partial mash," you're doing a full mash with partial extract

stuff all the grain you can into the cooler tun, the rest of the gravity you have to make up with extract

use Green Bay Rackers CAN I MASH IT? calculator to see how much grain at how thick a ratio you can do

Here's my 2c worth; I use my 5 gallon SS kettle for the mash before the boil. I've mashed up to some 8lbs in 2 1/4-2 1/2 gallons water in it. So with 6 1/2 gallons of space in the cooler, I'd say you could do as much as 9lbs of grains in some 3 gallons of water in it, just off the top of my head. This pb/pm biab thing is getting interesting, since the more grains I use in the mash, the less extract I need to add @ flame out.

Look at the Green Bay Rackers calculator like has been suggested. You can do AG brews with that up to a certain point. Most medium gravity brews will fit in that cooler. You would only need to add extract for a high gravity brew.

Latest posts

Back