Igloo 7.1 cu ft red oak keezer build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pieceman

Reaction score
After 4 long years, I have decided to make my second keezer. To my dismay, the Frigidaire 7.2 Black deep freezer is no longer on the market.. I could have gotten a white one and painted it, but that seemed like too much work.

Alas, I decided on the only black (7.1 cu ft) deep freezer on the market- The Igloo 7.1 cu ft black freezer. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Igloo-7.2-cu-ft-Chest-Freezer-Black/31136433

The first picture is the finished product.. The entire project took about 3 days. Friday to sunday.

Let me know what you guys think!

Parts list:
5 lb. Aluminum Co2 Tank $56.95
Pro Series Single Gauge Regulator [KC LH-541] $37.95
4x 5 Ft. 5/16 Inch I.D Air Assembly & 8 Snap Clamps [BF ALA516-5] $22.00
3x D System Keg Tap - Lever Handle [BF KT85D-L] $66.00
3x 5 ff Clear Beer Line with Hexnut Assembly [BF BLA316-5] $14.97
3x 4-1/8" Long Shank with Nipple Assembly - 3/16" I.D. Bore [BF SHANK4] $53.85
Perlick PERL 630SS Keg Beer Faucet - Stainless Steel [PL 630SS] $134.85
Kegco LH-54S-3 Premium Pro Series Three Product Secondary Regular $76.95
Kegco TC-321 Digital Thermostat Power Control Unit $59.95
Igloo 7.1 cu ft Chest Freezer, Black $239.00
10 Ft. of red oak 3/4"x8" $90
12'x8' sheet of Lowes green foam insulation $18
Misc. hardware, calk, and sealant $20
=$890.50 total

IMG_4087.jpg

IMG_4016.jpg

IMG_4015.jpg

IMG_4025.jpg

IMG_4027.jpg

IMG_4028.jpg

IMG_4032.jpg

IMG_4034.jpg

IMG_4035.jpg

IMG_4036.jpg

I painstakingly removed all of the pre-injected foam insulation from the stock lid, and cut out some of my sheet insulation. This allowed for a clean and level adherence to my red oak collar... God was it a pain in the ass though!!

IMG_4047.jpg

IMG_4048.jpg

IMG_4052.jpg

IMG_4051.jpg

IMG_4057.jpg

IMG_4058.jpg

IMG_4062.jpg

IMG_4065.jpg

IMG_4075.jpg

IMG_4077.jpg

i have my temps from 39 - 44. what do you guys do? is mine too high?

The picture above was taken when I initially set up and snapped a couple of quick pictures. It happened to be on 32 at the time. Since then, I bumped the temp up to 38 +/- 2 degrees. I didn't want to risk the lines freezing. Will update if this turns out to be too cold.

How did you set your temperature controller in the collar. It looks like the controller is flush against the collar, but then you also have a project box or something on the other side to hold the wiring?

Looks awesome!

How did you mount the triple regulator to the collar? Also, what is the purpose of the hole behind the center regulator? I thought maybe for the Co2 line to run in from the outside, but your pic shows it connected and inside with the other lines. And how thick is your collar? Looks like you only used 1x?? wood and added foam (how thick).

Fantastic build though, great attention to details! Gets my motivation going again on getting mine (2nd one also) done soon too.

What kind of gasket did you use to seal between the freezer and the lid?

How did you set your temperature controller in the collar. It looks like the controller is flush against the collar, but then you also have a project box or something on the other side to hold the wiring?
It's actually only one component with the wires coming out of the bottom. When I used my jigsaw to make the cutout, I intentionally made it a bit small. I then used a wood chisel to get it as precise as possible. It sat inside the cutout so snug, I honestly didn't even need to use construction adhesive.. Just wanted to make sure. FYI, this is the controller setup I used- http://www.beveragefactory.com/draf...TC-321-digital-temperature-power-control.html
Looks awesome!

How did you mount the triple regulator to the collar? Also, what is the purpose of the hole behind the center regulator? I thought maybe for the Co2 line to run in from the outside, but your pic shows it connected and inside with the other lines. And how thick is your collar? Looks like you only used 1x?? wood and added foam (how thick).

Fantastic build though, great attention to details! Gets my motivation going again on getting mine (2nd one also) done soon too.
Thanks for the kind words!

The 3 way regulator came from the manufacturer with a 4 screw mount pre-attached. So I just predrilled and used wood screws to secure it to the collar.

Good guess on the hole, it is there because I intend on mounting the co2 outside eventually.

The collar is 1x8" but in reality, it was more like 3/4"x8. The foam board was exactly 1" thick, cut to match the inside dimensions of the collar.
What kind of gasket did you use to seal between the freezer and the lid?
I took the gasket from the stock freezer lid and reattached it (with staple gun) to the underside of the collar. It should be noted that I had to flip the gasket upside down, in order to have enough real estate to staple it to the wood.

After I stapled it, I applied a bead of clear silicone to the inside to ensure a good seal.

Pieceman; it really does look very classy. Are you going to seal the hole (originally for the Co2 line to go outside) or plug it and then seal?

My two cents; having done the Co2 both ways, I would without doubt put it outside the keezer. It just seems that in my experience it lasts longer in a "warmer" environment. I had mine inside, checked for leaks constantly, moved it outside and never looked back. Now that my freezer died, I have a fridge in my garage with a line running outside to my tank. No problems. Just food for thought. Keep up the great work!

Pieceman; it really does look very classy. Are you going to seal the hole (originally for the Co2 line to go outside) or plug it and then seal?

My two cents; having done the Co2 both ways, I would without doubt put it outside the keezer. It just seems that in my experience it lasts longer in a "warmer" environment. I had mine inside, checked for leaks constantly, moved it outside and never looked back. Now that my freezer died, I have a fridge in my garage with a line running outside to my tank. No problems. Just food for thought. Keep up the great work!
Thanks again!

When I eventually upgrade to 1 1/2 and 2 1/6 setup, I'll be forced to move the co2 to the outside.. For now I've just got one of the insulation plugs that I drilled out earlier sitting in the hole. Not a permanent solution but it'll work for now. Eventually, when the air line gets routed through it, I'll foam spray the space in between the line and the hole.

Thanks again!

When I eventually upgrade to 1 1/2 and 2 1/6 setup, I'll be forced to move the co2 to the outside.. For now I've just got one of the insulation plugs that I drilled out earlier sitting in the hole. Not a permanent solution but it'll work for now. Eventually, when the air line gets routed through it, I'll foam spray the space in between the line and the hole.

can you recommend a good foam spray? i got some cracks in my collar need filling. thanks

can you recommend a good foam spray? i got some cracks in my collar need filling. thanks

Great Stuff's "insulating foam sealant" in a red can. It's pretty hardy stuff that expands quite a bit. Definitely recommend it! Bought it from Lowes.

did you just super glue them on?

I used some quick set epoxy to initially get them stuck on (sets in 5 minutes). Then lined the inside of the brackets with a bead of liquid nails.

It's really solid and looks pretty clean compared to my previous drip tray installs :)

Hey Pieceman,

When you get the chance, will you post the internal measurements for this chest freezer model (WxDxH)? This model's exact demensions do not appear to be posted anywhere I can find. I have been on the hunt for the smallest chest freezer I can find that will hold a single 1/2 barrel sanke keg for fermentation. In reality, I will be using a squatty 1/4 barrel keg for now, but might upgrade to 1/2 barrel at some point (they are the same width). The search has proven much more difficult than expected.

Everyone always references https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?p=4731045#post4731045, but this does not include the vast number of the chest freezers actually available on the market and the only ones that will fit a full size 15.5gal keg (or 7.75gal for that matter) are massive.

Back