Going out of town

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TastyAdventure

Reaction score
I'm leaving town on Friday and I'm not sure where to leave my Belgian Dark Strong.
I brewed and pitched Yeast on Saturday 7/4 morning.
Here's my temperature plan:
Cool to 68, pitched at 9 am on 7/4
Hold for 24 hrs after pitch
24 hrs: raised to 69
36 hrs: 70
48 hrs: 71
60 hrs: 72
72 hrs: 73
84 hrs(3.5 days): 74
5 days: 75
6 days: 76, leave for vacation

I wanted to slowly ramp up to 77 on day 7, but I won't be here. I'm worried about leaving it for a full week that high. What temp should I set my chamber at on day 6 before leaving for a week?

What's the yeast you are using.

Your profile seems very interesting and to involve a lot of steps all at very high temperatures.

Is it a saison yeast?

With the range your looking at there I would set at 68F and forget about it while I was away. Maybe that is too low for what you are trying to do.

Ales I usually am fermenting 62-66F with a ramp to 68 at the end.

If you can keep the temperatures within the temperature range of the yeast you used while you’re out, I'd do that. I wouldn't worry about increase the temps every 12 hours. Just let it sit on the low side of the yeast temperature range until fermentation is complete.

Chimay strain in 2.5 gal, Ardennes in the other. These are Belgian strains that are tasty on the hotter side

The reason I am bumping every 12 hours is to emulate the "free rise" that so many Trappist breweries do, but while still controlled so it doesn't get away from me. I want it to fully attenuate and to coax some tasty esters/phenols from the yeast, with out them being overpowering.
I figure, if I have precise control over temp, why not use it? I dont mind taking 2 minutes every morning and evening to bump the temp

If you want to simulate a free rise why not let it freely rise instead of controlling the rise?

If you're set on temperatures for a week just make day 5 the temp you want to leave it at for a week and don't worry about it.

If you want to simulate a free rise why not let it freely rise instead of controlling the rise?

Free rise at 30 F ambient is not the same as free rise at 100 F ambient, so what does "free rise" mean? That's one reason.

Like I said, I want to control it, once/if it gets too high, lowering it is even more detrimental.

Back