Razzmatazz - Raspberry Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boerderij_Kabouter

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP380
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
???
Boiling Time (Minutes)
Color
Red
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days at 70degF
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days at 70 degF
Additional Fermentation
5 weeks at 50 degF
Razzmatazz - 10 gallon batch

Razzmatazz.jpg

MALT
14.8 # pale wheat malt
3.7 # Pilsner
3.7 # Vienna
1.06 # 56L

HOPS
6.2 AAU Hallertauer at 60 minutes remaining
2.0 oz Hallertauer at 20 minutes remaining

MASH SCHEDULE
Dough in at 99 degF for 30 minutes
Protein rest at 122 degF for 20 minutes
Mash at 145 degF for 60 minutes
Mash out at 170 degF

FERMENTATION
Primary at higher temps. I used 70 degF

When transferring to secondary, I racked onto 8 pounds of fresh raspberries.
I had the grocery store sanitize the berries and wrap them in a bag for me. I then dumped all the berries into my carboys and racked the beer on top. Ferment on the berries for 2 weeks at the same temp as primary.

Rack to tertiary fermenter and bulk age for an additional 5 weeks.

SERVING

Target about 4 volumes of CO2.

This tastes a lot like a rasperry champagne. Strong berry flavor as you can image.
Delicous and a hit with my wife and her friends.

I have had a few requests for an extract version of this brew. However, I am still working old school without a brewing software, and am not skilled at converting all-grain to extract. I am asking anyone out there to help out your fellow brewers and "clone" this all grain with an extract recipe. Thanks! :mug:

Also, I just realized I haven't posted a detailed review of this beer. I will get on that tonight, so you have more than a 2 line vague description to go off of. Cheers

I would love to read a detailed review... is there a link to it? Has anyone come up with an extract version? Im still a noob.

Ha! I forgot about this. I still have a few bottles left, I will have to do a proper review and post it. I still haven't come up with an extract version, but I will if I find the time, this may have to be next week sometime.

So I finally got around to reviewing this beer:

CIMG1722.JPG

Appearance:
Pours a reddish orange color with a good amount of wheat haze and a mountain of rose colored head. Sediment in bottle is present but not unpleasant. I think it lends a tart and mildly funky flavor when added. I serve this beer in a Champagne flute and recommend you do the same.

Aroma:
Intense raspberry nose. Not overly sweet but definitely a strong berry smell.

Head/Lacing:
Head retention is good maintaining about a 1/4" layer through out the drink. Lacing is strong and constant. Leaves a good reminder of things that you have enjoyed!

Mouthfeel:
Light and crisp! A perfect beer for a hot summer day. I think this crispness is due to the high carbonation and low finishing gravity of this beer. This has a crisp feel but is definitely not thin. You know you are drinking a beer but it finishes dry and leaves you wanting more.

Taste:
A strong raspberry backbone is complimented by the wheat and malt notes. Somehow, this berry monster attains a balance between the malt and berry sweetness, and presents enough hops to balance and work very well.

This beer really peaked at about 6 months and is still holding strong at 9 months.

I'm brewing this right now as a 5 gal batch with the same ingredients except for I'm using Wyeast 3068 Weinstephan and I'm using 5.5 # German Pils and 5.5# Wheat. It sounds like a winner. I'm thinking about calling Aunt Flo's Raspberry Wheat! :D

eschatz- I would think yours should be conditioned by now... any feedback?

Oh yeah, I forgot to comment about my fallen solier. This beer was brewed in a glass carboy in a swamp cooler that had water about 3/4 of the way up the side of the carboy. The airlock clogged and the bottom blew out of the carboy instead of the airlock coming off! :(

I had a fan (about 2lbs) resting against the carboy. I found it about 10 feet away... The swamp cooler smelled so freaking good it was increadible.... increadibly depressing... :(

The airlock clogged and the bottom blew out of the carboy instead of the airlock coming off! :(

I had a fan (about 2lbs) resting against the carboy. I found it about 10 feet away... :(

Holy crap! I'm glad you weren't hurt, although that totally sucks for your beer and carboy! Those wheat-based beers can be explosive sometimes. Last time I made one I also had an airlock clog, then get shot off. It sprayed the ceiling of my basement with beer, and I found the carboy cap on the other side of the room.

FYI, I am attempting a extract version of this. Here is my recipe:
Recipe Type: Extract
Yeast: WLP380
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: ~1.065
Final Gravity: ???
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60

MALT
7# Wheat (DME)
1.75 # Pilsner
1.75 # Vienna
.5 # 60L
HOPS
2 oz (6.2 AAU) Hallertauer at 60 minutes remaining
1 oz Hallertauer at 20 minutes remaining

Grains will be steeped and rinsed prior to adding DME.

I will post back when first taste, maybe others will want to try it sooner though.

OP: Do you know how the grocery store sanitized them? I'll be buying mine from a farmers market and will need to sanitize them at home. I've heard of heating them, blending with camden tablets, or just freezing them. Any thoughts?

I would just soak them for a minute in starsan. A friend of mine just brewed this and it turned out well. I still stand by my original review and was happy with how his beer turned out.

Razzmatazz - 10 gallon batch

Razzmatazz.jpg

MALT
14.8 # pale wheat malt
3.7 # Pilsner
3.7 # Vienna
1.06 # 56L

HOPS
6.2 AAU Hallertauer at 60 minutes remaining
2.0 oz Hallertauer at 20 minutes remaining

MASH SCHEDULE
Dough in at 99 degF for 30 minutes
Protein rest at 122 degF for 20 minutes
Mash at 145 degF for 60 minutes
Mash out at 170 degF

FERMENTATION
Primary at higher temps. I used 70 degF

When transferring to secondary, I racked onto 8 pounds of fresh raspberries.
I had the grocery store sanitize the berries and wrap them in a bag for me. I then dumped all the berries into my carboys and racked the beer on top. Ferment on the berries for 2 weeks at the same temp as primary.

Rack to tertiary fermenter and bulk age for an additional 5 weeks.

SERVING

Target about 4 volumes of CO2.

This tastes a lot like a rasperry champagne. Strong berry flavor as you can image.
Delicous and a hit with my wife and her friends.

How much hops at 60?

This sound amazing, what sort of raspberry flavour did you get?? Just a hint? Of full of it?

Sounds like a recipe to try with black cherries me thinks! Not for awhile though:mug:

I know this is an old thread and and old recipe. Looking to brew a raspberry wheat style beer this summer. This might be along the lines. What is 56L? I don't recognize it as a typical AG fermentable. But I'm relatively new!

Latest posts

Back