Corny Keg - Welds

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iseneye

Reaction score
I have a "new" 5 gallon corny keg that I have had for about 6 months or so. It's the taller skinnier one rather than the squat ones. Anyway, I bought this keg along with four others and there are welding bubbles at the top join of the keg on the inside. I may have noticed them when I first bought it but didn't think it was an issue. I rechecked the keg (empty) and it has stains running down from the weld which I assume come from the weld bubbles. I don't know the correct terms sorry so hopefully that makes sense.

The keg holds pressure so my concern is if there are any health implications. I don't think I have used this keg for beer yet - it just has sanitizer in it at the moment.

Can you post a picture?

I would say to scrub with bar keeper's friend, and let it fully dry out, and see how it looks. If you don't notice any corrosion, you should be fine, but a picture will definitely help us figure that out!

Can you post a picture?

I would say to scrub with bar keeper's friend, and let it fully dry out, and see how it looks. If you don't notice any corrosion, you should be fine, but a picture will definitely help us figure that out!

Thanks - I'll try and get a picture up next week.

(bubbles) do you mean holes? if holes its called porosity and means it has foreign material in the weld. if you would have let them know right after recieving the keg they probably would have exchanged it for you. i would say now that you would have to take it to a weld shop and have them dig out the porosity with a grinder then do a sanitary weld on it

Back