Yet another NOOB question - ruined batch w/ High Temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjamison01

Reaction score
Hi all,

First thank you for the excellent advice that I've gleaned from all your forum contributions. This website truly is a great resource.

I have run into an issue on my second batch of beer and was hoping to get some advice. The temperature of the small refrigerator that I have dedicated to fermenting my beer shot up to 95 degrees at some point while I was away this weekend. My extract batch of belgian dark strong was at the end of its second week of fermenting in the primary carboy. Prior to this weekend, fermentation temp was pretty well dialed in at 68-72 degrees. I've since corrected the refrigerator/temperature issue, but am wondering if anyone has experienced something like this? And, whether its worth seeing through the fermentation of the beer or scrapping the batch?

Thank you in advance for any advice!

You have came this far. Finnish it out and see how it goes ,lots of people on the board will tell you this. Plus even if it doesn't taste great a few months later come back to it and see how it's developed.

If you fermented between 68 and 72 for the first few days, then that's good, as that's when most off flavors due to temperature can be produced, although you're not 100% out of the woods. Since its a Belgian, you may get away with any off esters that may be produced. Never dump a batch unless you have no other choice. Cheers!

That could be enough temperature for the yeast to excrete off flavors. Taste it!

If it is at all "off" you have an experiment, I'd let it run and see what happens.

If it gets "meaty" "rubbery" "soy sauce" or "vegemite" flavors, it's done.

Given it was a couple weeks in I'd say you are mostly out of the woods; but as you'll hear here frequently, taste it and see! Worse case the beer isn't great now, but it will likely get better after sitting for a while; nothing to be lost by aging it a bit.

Thank you all for the feedback. Assuming the flavors are somewhat off, how long would you recommend I let it sit for?

I Never dump a batch unless you have no other choice.

This. Time heals many wounds, homebrew-wise. Batches I thought would be terrible when I tasted them on bottling day turned out awesome after a few weeks of bottle conditioning and a little carbonation.

Bottle it (or keg?), let it age, try it out. If it's funky, let it age some more.

That said, there have still been batches I've dumped after all the effort of brewing and bottling. Examples include a crappy kit-based cider that gave me splitting headaches and a scottish ale that fell victim to chloramines (still mad at myself about that one). BUT, I gave them every chance before I surrendered them to the sewer gods.

RDWHAHB is how the saying goes, no?

Thank you all for the feedback. Assuming the flavors are somewhat off, how long would you recommend I let it sit for?

After the usual 2-3 weeks of bottling I'd try one each week until it is where you like. It may very well be fine right out of the gate.

Back