Keggle conversion - Cleaning, etc.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkwolf

Reaction score
So with the formation of a local homebrew club, and a new coworker who is also a homebrewer, my interest in moving up to all-grain has rapidly increased. Month or so ago, I bought an spare keg from a coworker to convert to a keggle, and finally got around to cutting the top this weekend.

I had long debated how I wanted to cut it, as I didn't have an angle grinder at the time (burned mine up during a home remodel project). One of the club members owns a fabrication shop and offered to have his guys use the plasma cutter on it, but ultimately I found a Dewalt grinder on sale and went that route. I've seen a lot of posts about building a PVC guide to stick in the spear opening and hold the tool constant, or using string tied around the center, etc. What I ended up doing was holding the tool cutting-wheel out, and resting the blade guard against the outside rim of the keg. Took about 10 minutes, but I was able to make a nearly-perfect cut all the way around the keg, about 2" from the outside rim. Worked pretty nicely.

Now that I have the keg cut, I'll mount my ball valve and thermometer bulkheads today - but do have the question of... What steps do I need to take to make sure the keg is clean and ready to use? Fill it with water and soak it in PBW and a good rinse? I'm thinking I'll probably put 10 gallons of water in it and give it a good boil for sure, anything else?

You're probably fine with a good scrub with soapy water, but a pbw soak sure wouldn't hurt. Since it sounds like you'll be using it as a boil kettle, you shouldn't need to do anything more than you would for any other kettle.

Back