Mini keg priming & checking pressure with Taprite regulator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just transferred wort from fermentation containers and primed in a 2.5 gallon mini keg. I have the inflow hose connected to a Taprite regulator so I can check the carbonation progress in the keg. Trouble is, there is no progress and I primed Friday. Is the carbonation leaking through the regulator somehow? I have an empty 5 lb CO2 tank hooked up to the regulator also, until the beer is carbonated then I can fill it for dispensing. I'm totally new to this draft system type of brewing (well, any type of brewing actually ;)) Anyone have a quick description of Taprite regulator parts and settings. I have the instruction sheet so I know safety and basic function but from a brewer's perspective, I mean.

The regulator will read and regulate the pressure from your tank, not from the keg. If you put priming sugar in the keg, and it's carbonating from that, the regulator won't tell you anything about the pressure in the keg.

Assuming you used priming sugar, which it sounds like you did, I'd just wait a few weeks to let it carb up.

The regulator will read and regulate the pressure from your tank, not from the keg. If you put priming sugar in the keg, and it's carbonating from that, the regulator won't tell you anything about the pressure in the keg.

Assuming you used priming sugar, which it sounds like you did, I'd just wait a few weeks to let it carb up.

Sorry, a bit early after a holiday. I forgot to mention that the Taprite regulator is a dual-gauge type. One gauge is for keg pressure and the other for CO2 tank pressure, from what I understand. Seems reasonable. Yes, I primed with a few ounces of corn sugar. I just want to make sure that trapped CO2 from priming is not being lost due to some leaking somewhere. No biggie, though, I'll just let it go for a couple weeks and see. That's what learning is all about. I just want to make sure exactly what pressures I'm dealing with, though. Some of these pressures can exceed safe levels which is not what I want by any means.

Actually, that's not quite how dual gauge regulators work. Yes, one reads the tanks pressure, and the other is for the keg pressure. However, the one for the keg pressure does not read pressure coming from the keg. Rather, it regulates the pressure coming from the tank. That gauge also has a nob, which is used to dial-in and specify how many PSI you want to go from the tank to the keg.

Actually, that's not quite how dual gauge regulators work. Yes, one reads the tanks pressure, and the other is for the keg pressure. However, the one for the keg pressure does not read pressure coming from the keg. Rather, it regulates the pressure coming from the tank. That gauge also has a nob, which is used to dial-in and specify how many PSI you want to go from the tank to the keg.

OK, that makes sense. Gas has to flow in one direction from the tank through the regulator into the keg. Not sure how I thought a gauge would read pressure flowing in the other direction :confused: One gauge reads tank pressure, then adjust the pressure going into the keg with the other gauge. I see how this will work now. There is a big red knob that you pull out and turn to adjust pressure going to the keg. There is also a lever on the gas line intake on the regulator that shuts it completely off. Thanks!

Well, I removed the gas line from the keg yesterday and when I pulled on the pressure valve this morning there was a big hiss so it is definitely carbing. :D I think I need some keg seal though...slight bubbling sounds from the locking lid seal if I put my ear up close.

Spray the top with starsan or soupy water and look for bubbles. If you have a leek you will lose all your co2 in a day or two.

Spray the top with starsan or soupy water and look for bubbles. If you have a leek you will lose all your co2 in a day or two.

It seems to have subsided from what I can tell. If worse comes to worse, I'll just force-carb it if necessary this time. I picked up some petrol gel as a preventative measure in the future, too. :mug:

Not quite correct. The low pressure gauge does not regulate anything, and is not directly affected by the control knob/screw (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pressure_regulator.) It is a simple gauge that just measures the pressure in the low pressure chamber of the regulator. The OP's pressure check would work if there wasn't a check valve between the keg and the regulator.

Brew on :mug:

Not quite correct. The low pressure gauge does not regulate anything, and is not directly affected by the control knob/screw (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pressure_regulator.) It is a simple gauge that just measures the pressure in the low pressure chamber of the regulator. The OP's pressure check would work if there wasn't a check valve between the keg and the regulator.

Ah, ok, intuitively I was thinking about it right at first but I didn't know about the check valve preventing flow back from the keg. It had me confused, convincing myself wrongly. Now this is my kind of reading. ;) Science and brewing...how can you go wrong with that combination?? :D

Beer came out great, little undercarbonated but came out great. Nice flavor, very smooth just like a draft should be :D Nice head, too, if you turn the reg up to 30 psi :p May force carb it at 30 psi for a few days :mug:

Beer came out great, little undercarbonated but came out great. Nice flavor, very smooth just like a draft should be :D Nice head, too, if you turn the reg up to 30 psi :p May force carb it at 30 psi for a few days :mug:
If the beer is already somewhat carbed, and you put it on 30 psi for two days, you will need to learn about how to fix an over carbonated keg. :drunk:

Edit: Oops, "3 psi" should have been "30 psi"

Latest posts

Back