Hardwood flooring for keezer collar or keezer exterior?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eelgerg

Reaction score
Hey,

I'm going to start my keezer build shortly and have been waffling over how to build my collar. Was going to use 1x8 oak with 2x4 lumber frame inside, or insulation, but oak is expensive here in Canada (6.50/ft) and I just realized I have a whole Schwack of cherry or oak tongue and groove hardwood flooring that I could use in place of the 1x8 oak exterior. Any thoughts on using this material before I start?

Should be fine just rip the tunge and groove off and insulate inside and your good to go!

Sounds like a good plan to me.. I would leave the tongue and groove because it would provide more surface are a for glue to keep things in place.
Are going to run it horizontal or vertical around the keezer?

Initially I only wanted wood surface on my keezer for the collar and was going to run it horizontal. I have also thought about covering the whole keezer but that is more work and I like the look of having the freezer exposed. I agree that I was going to leave the tongue for connecting the pieces, but would rip the bottom piece so that it was clean and flush. My collar was also not going to overhang but sit flush with the freezer wall.

I was going to glue the flooring to a 1x6 or 1x8 pine inner collar although I am a bit worried about pine warping since it's a softwood. Then add insulation.

Latest posts

Back