Help me pick a layout for my control panel!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which layout should I use?

Results are only viewable after voting.

lzrdkng14

Reaction score
I need some help deciding on a layout for my panel.

My build thread is HERE

20150704_164939.jpg

20150704_164656.jpg

20150704_164559.jpg

20150704_164456.jpg

20150704_164342.jpg

20150704_164031.jpg

I have one I am leaning towards, but want to see what you guys like...

If you're looking for functionality go with a layout that works for you...if you're going for a symetrical look I think you haven't found it yet.
Whatever design you use, you should make that e-stop a whole lot more obvious and in a position where you don't have to look for it when you need it. .

I voted #6 based purely on that one has the PIDs the highest. Unless you have some other reason, you want displays to be as close to operator eye level as possible. You will look at the PIDs more than you'll be flipping switches. And chances are you will flip a switch based on what you see n a PID.

I'm not trying to be mean, but I don't like any of them. I too like #6 best because the PIDs are towards the top.

Jumbled and busy and confusing is how I would describe each of those options.

"Form Follows Function". This is the golden rule in engineering design: Things look the way they do because they work better than other designs.

I don't see labels in any of your layouts. I have no idea what any of the buttons or displays actually do.

I would suggest, however, that you do indeed label them so that you -- or anyone -- can look at your board and see what's being done or monitored.

That said, I also suggest that you group things according to function. I wouldn't put a temperature readout right next to a flowmeter between two voltage displays. Group like-items together. Don't worry about symmetry or how pretty it is: you want to get pertinent information in a single glance, without having to search all over the board for it.

"Form Follows Function". This is the golden rule in engineering design: Things look the way they do because they work better than other designs.

I don't see labels in any of your layouts. I have no idea what any of the buttons or displays actually do.

I would suggest, however, that you do indeed label them so that you -- or anyone -- can look at your board and see what's being done or monitored.

That said, I also suggest that you group things according to function. I wouldn't put a temperature readout right next to a flowmeter between two voltage displays. Group like-items together. Don't worry about symmetry or how pretty it is: you want to get pertinent information in a single glance, without having to search all over the board for it.

Fair point....

Blue lights are for the pumps.
Yellow lights for elements with a 3 way Kal style switch.

Red push button alarm reset with buzzer.

Green power light and key switch.

I don't have a ton of space so trying to find a layout that flows...

Thanks

Honestly, in the space given, I don't think the differences in your layout is going to matter one whit. This isn't the control panel of an Apollo spacecraft and your not going to be constantly flipping switches in a complicated sequence. What will matter is the labeling. Once labeled, it doesn't really matter if a switch is two inches to the left or not....

IMHO.

theres always the layout I went with as well since my setup is very similar to yours...second and third pics are later after going to another power switch. also If I may make a suggestion... make sure the component layout matches the order on your brew stand.... example mine is Boil kettle to the left and RIMS/MT in center and HLT on the right.,.. the same for all three of my pumps for each..

control panel.jpg

IMG_20150105_172426_076.jpg

IMG_20150607_112625_889.jpg

Thanks for the input augiedoggy...

My challenge is that I have 2 spots on the panel that I need to avoid putting any components on. The key latch which is obvious, and a grounding post which is in the top left corner. Kal has an instruction on moving the grounding post, which I could do - was just trying to avoid that. It would be a perfect spot for the alarm reset switch though...

I have taken the feedback so far and mocked up two more layouts that I think both work pretty well

20150706_083031.jpg

20150706_082932.jpg

Latest posts

Back