Triple decoction open fermentation ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michaellindopp

Reaction score
Hey all, .
Probably by the titled you guessed the bulk of my question.
I want to do a triple decoction open fermentation ipa. Anybody have any hints or tips or even knowledge on this topic? I'll do it no matter what but would like some information on the topic.
Cheers all.

Look for the sticky posted by kaiser, its here in the all grain part of the forum, he has a good video on decoction mashing. Im sure google can supply you with a good bit of information on a open fermentation.

I've done deccoction mashing and open fermentation but is it suitable for ipa's and what is the outcome/affects? Is their anything I need to look out for or do?

I've done deccoction mashing and open fermentation but is it suitable for ipa's and what is the outcome/affects? Is their anything I need to look out for or do?

Decoction is usually done on beers that need a malty profile, as decoction is done to increase maillard reactions. It would be very unusual to do one on an IPA as usually IPAs are thinner bodied and not big malty beers.

I don't do open fermentation so I can't answer to that.

I overfilled my tun once(ya only once) and had to decoct to mash out. It was a DIPA and turned out much darker then I wanted,but the taste was perfect,very hoppy up front followed by dry malt finish. Omitting crystal malts and using Munich gave me a lighter beer with plenty of malt flavor. Bonus....Munich is only $1.00 lb in bulk.

Sounds like you're really going all in. Decoction is a long brewday and I don't think you'll get to enjoy its benefits which will likely get covered up by a supremely hoppy recipe. I've heard that oxygen exposure during fermentation can give you some more interesting esters- let us know how the open ferment goes.

I don't think you'll be able to taste the decoction in an IPA. I know some breweries open ferment hoppy beers, so that might make an interesting variation.

Back