$57.35 - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > $57.35

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2006, 10:10 PM   #11
DeRoux's Broux
 
DeRoux's Broux's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2004
Beaumont, Texas
Posts: 2,959
Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGee
Crap, somehow I missed the entire word 'never'. Reminds me of when I learned flammable and inflammable mean the same thing. We just started getting the good stuff over here, so I'm keeping my hopes up...we are getting DFH now!
if not, maybe we can work a swap
__________________
Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 10:17 PM   #12
El Pistolero
 
El Pistolero's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2005
Houston, Baja Oklahoma
Posts: 3,585
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by DeRoux's Broux
from that statement i assume you've never had THE ARROGNAT BASTARD ALE from Stone? OH-MAMA!!!! that, like Hop Rod Rye, is a beer-life changing experience......
Hey Dude, sorry to jack your thread, but this seemed a good time to get a pressing question answered.

So, Arrogant Bastard...is it hoppy, or just bitter? I had one maybe six months ago. I don't really recall a real hoppy taste or aroma...all I can remember is that it was overpoweringly bitter. That Hopzilla we had tho, DeRoux...that one was really bitter (wasn't it?), but you don't notice the bitter so much because you're overwhelmed by the hop aroma and flavor.

The Hopzilla I'd call hoppy, but the Bastard to me was just bitter, or am I mis-remembering it? And Hop Rod Rye...where does it fit in there?
__________________
[/I] Up Next - Hobgoblin
After That - Czech Pilsner
Primary - Humboldt Hop Rod (4/24)
Primary - NOT Wheat AG SNCA (5/5)
Secondary -
Conditioning - SNCA Clone (3/3),

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 10:37 PM   #13
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Baron von BeeGee's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2005
Barony of Fuquay-Varina, NC
Posts: 5,397
Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by DeRoux's Broux
if not, maybe we can work a swap
Why yes, perhaps we can...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 02:37 PM   #14
DeRoux's Broux
 
DeRoux's Broux's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2004
Beaumont, Texas
Posts: 2,959
Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero
So, Arrogant Bastard...is it hoppy, or just bitter? I had one maybe six months ago. I don't really recall a real hoppy taste or aroma...all I can remember is that it was overpoweringly bitter. That Hopzilla we had tho, DeRoux...that one was really bitter (wasn't it?), but you don't notice the bitter so much because you're overwhelmed by the hop aroma and flavor.

The Hopzilla I'd call hoppy, but the Bastard to me was just bitter, or am I mis-remembering it? And Hop Rod Rye...where does it fit in there?
well, i read this post while i was drinking a Hop Rod Rye last night (site was down, so i couldn't respond). and, i really think the Arrogant Bastard and the Hop Rod Rye are very close in style and bitternes. the Hopzilla @ Two Rows is very bitter, but it's balanced pretty good. give the Arrogant Bastard another try, and i beat you'll like it a bit more this time. the Arrogant Bastard is a big hoppy brown ale, i assume along the lines of the DFH India Brown Ale. but, i doubt it's better than the almighty Bastard!
__________________
Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 04:49 PM   #15
El Pistolero
 
El Pistolero's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2005
Houston, Baja Oklahoma
Posts: 3,585
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts


I picked up a Twisted Thistle and a Dead Guy Ale last night. I almost got an AB, but I'm just not sure I'm worthy yet.
__________________
[/I] Up Next - Hobgoblin
After That - Czech Pilsner
Primary - Humboldt Hop Rod (4/24)
Primary - NOT Wheat AG SNCA (5/5)
Secondary -
Conditioning - SNCA Clone (3/3),

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 04:58 PM   #16
cgravier
Recipes 
 
Jan 2006
Virginia Beach
Posts: 276
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


i drink arogant b. ale all the time, and i hate brown ales. to me they are everything a beer is not supposed to be: light in alcohol, sweet, not bitter, with no hop aroma. i would not consider 'newscastle brown ale' which i always thought was a brown ale in the same category as arrogant bastard ale, they are 100 percent different.

arogant. b ale is 7 percent abv, bitter as hell, with a moderate hop aroma, and its more pale than brown....

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 09:50 PM   #17
DeRoux's Broux
 
DeRoux's Broux's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2004
Beaumont, Texas
Posts: 2,959
Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by cgravier
i drink arogant b. ale all the time, and i hate brown ales. to me they are everything a beer is not supposed to be: light in alcohol, sweet, not bitter, with no hop aroma. i would not consider 'newscastle brown ale' which i always thought was a brown ale in the same category as arrogant bastard ale, they are 100 percent different.

arogant. b ale is 7 percent abv, bitter as hell, with a moderate hop aroma, and its more pale than brown....
well, take a gander at the web site or check these tasting notes from beer advocate. almost all call it a deep ruby, dark amber american ale, etc.
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/147/92/

didn't see a Pale ale description listed..........
__________________
Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 09:59 PM   #18
Caplan
Recipes 
 
Aug 2005
Posts: 1,161
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero
I picked up a Twisted Thistle and a Dead Guy Ale last night
The Dead Guy Ale by Rogue? Have you tried it?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 10:05 PM   #19
DeRoux's Broux
 
DeRoux's Broux's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2004
Beaumont, Texas
Posts: 2,959
Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Caplan
The Dead Guy Ale by Rogue? Have you tried it?
tasty brew, and strong!

supposed to be a maibock style, but not real traditional.
__________________
Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 10:22 PM   #20
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Dude's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2005
Knob Noster, Missouri
Posts: 8,770
Liked 87 Times on 70 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by DeRoux's Broux
well, i read this post while i was drinking a Hop Rod Rye last night
Ha! I drank one last night too. Forgot how freaking good that stuff is.

I also had the Victory Hop Wallop. I was very surprised at how pale it was. It was damn good though. LOL, I even made my wife try both of them. Well actually I guilted her into it because she yelled at me not five minutes before I opened the Hop Devil because she saw the empty can of Murphy's stout sitting on the counter, and asked when I drank it. I told her when I got off work that morning, so she said she wished I would wait before I try new beers so she can sample it too. HAHA....so I made her try the Hop Devil, (she actually said not as bad as the others...), and then the Hop Rod Rye. She said that it tasted like SOAP!!!! LOL.....

Anyway, the Hop Wallop: Really nice aroma, I swear I got almost a lime citrus thing at first. Very smooth bitterness, but definitely a highly hopped beer. I'm VERY impressed with everything I've had from Victory so far. Give me a sixer of this stuff any day.
__________________
On Tap: Lake Walk Pale Ale -- Eternity (Raspberry Stout) -- Nutrocker -- Donnybrook Dark
Primary: Lake Walk Pale Ale
Secondary: Summit IPA
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools



Forum Jump